Ad Radar
Item Posts    Sort Order

6 speed shifter

Sagg1
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 03/16/11 06:58 PM

I have a '07 manual with z51 option and feel that the shifter is not smooth as it should be.  From 1st to 2nd particularly it has a catch when you go into 2nd from neutral area.  I have a '70 4 speed and it as smooth as silk.  I feel it may cause me to miss a gear when speed shifting.  I have considered purchasing a Hurst or aftermarket shifter but feel it is the synchronizer instead and that changing the shifter may not help.  Any advice?
Tony  

waynep7122
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 03/16/11 08:04 PM

i wonder if the device that redirects the shift from 1/2 to 1/4 shift  might be kicking in.. or its out of adjustment ..

i have forgotten what it is called.. it was mentioned in the lest few posts...

skip shift...  

waynep7122
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 03/16/11 08:11 PM

i guess you saw this article...  but will it fit your 07

http://www.vetteweb.com/tech/vemp_0212_c5_corvette_skip_shift_delete/index.html  

Sagg1
Posted: 03/17/11 07:29 PM

Thanks but I have deactivated the CAGS circuit by soldering a resister to a fuse and inserting it in the fuse box.  It can also be done by disconnecting and inserting into the transmission a CAGS filter that is availble from Ecklers and others too.  
However I have learned that this rough shifting is typical of a T56 Trans.  I've been told that the linkage is very long that reaches back to the trans near the rear of the car and that is the reason for the not so smooth shifting.  Supposedly the '08 models have a smoother T50 trans.  I'll still probably swap out the shifter for a short throw after market unit.  I'm told that the MGW brand is superior to the Hurst or B&M brand.  This short throw may actually make the feeling of the catch when shifting more noticeable but the shorter throw and less sloppy shifting may be a plus.  Any comments from someone who changed a stock shifter on a '07 to a MGW shifter?  Thanks in advance to any replies.  

Scruffyone
Posted: 06/09/11 04:15 PM

I have a 99 and the shift is difficult from 1st to second- I'm used to a smoth fast shift but this one seems to want to go into 4th unless I work it.  

briando
Posted: 01/20/13 08:00 AM

its probably gonna be a pain, but i'd tell ya to reboot it. uninstall it from your corvette and start all over.  

pepsi1
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 01/20/13 06:26 PM

Sagg1 welcome aboard.

If the shifter is not properly adjusted, the synchroes will act as if they are not there. The shifter can go too far into a gear or too far away from a gear, and visa/versa and even pop out of gear in some cases.

I'll tell you when you are speed shifting or what I call Power Shifting. My Power Shifting Days. (I put my foot in the carb and pulled the gears). I always wanted to go against Ronnie Sox. Mr. 4 Speed. But I never had that chance.
  We determinded  how fast a 4 speed shifter you were, against another guy. We measured the distance between the rubber marks between gear changes. The shorter the distance the better you were at shifting gears.
  The easiest gear to miss was 3rd gear. You were being pulled away from the shifter. So trying to slam 3rd gear and not miss it was a challenge.
  We actually removed part of the synchroes. In fact if I were to Pro-Shift a Super T-10 I would remove every other tooth on the synchronizer for each gear.  If you drove it normally on the street, you would have to double clutch it to change gears.
  But making 7,500RPM to 8,000RPM gear changes was like a hot knife going through butter..
  A street driven 4 speed trans if the synchroes are going bad, you can push the clutch in a couple times and that slows the synchroes down to put it in gear....Way back in the day they didn't know what a synchronizer was. You had to double clutch them. When the trans was cold with that 90 weight gear lube, it was a real trip to shift..

Bob  

tuffnuff
Posted: 01/26/13 11:42 AM

Yep, I built a few "crash boxes" in my time.,. I would "lead" the 3/4 shifter arm, 1 turn and power shifts were easier.
Missed gears were few and far between for me, I did shift my whole body over, so my right shoulder was directly in-line with the shifter.
Missing a gear at 8000 R's was to be avoided like the plague.

Smile  
When The Flag Drops.,.

tuffnuff

The Bull ***t Stops.,.
tuffnuff

P. Engineer, Engine Builder

TO TOP