Item Posts    Sort Order

Issues during heavy exceleration

nc_scott
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 04/18/11 09:55 AM

I have a 74 vette that runs fine when I am driveing normal.  When I jump on it, is starts bogging down.  if I back off it will come back after a short time.  

I have replaced the fuel filter and sprayed cleaner in the carb.  Also put a fuel cleaner in the tank.

Any other suggestions?  

waynep7122
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 04/18/11 01:46 PM

i am taking that you replaced the fuel filter in the front of the carb...

can you disable the ignition system...

disconnect the fuel line at the carb...    stick a piece of fuel line over the end of the fuel line...    run that into a clear empty 2 or 3 liter plastic bottle...

have somebody crank the engine for 10 to 15 seconds...   do this while you watch the fuel pulsing from the end of the hose into the bottle..   are the pulses nice and even...   this proves that the fuel system is not restricted...  that the fuel pump is not dirty or broken... that the in tank fuel strainer is NOT clogged..

you need to see at least a PINT of fuel in that 10 to 15 seconds...

i would also like you to take a magnet and move it around the bottom of the outside of the bottle...   see if it attracts anything...    i have found rust and corrosion in many fuel systems.. including C4s with lined fuel tanks...

i had one friend whos fuel system was not just clogged.. but severals sections were smashed flat from jack stands and floor jacks.. when i did the max flow test i outlined above.. the first 2 pulses from the fuel pump were nice and full.. the rest got smaller and smaller until it was just a few drops...  it was so clogged that i used my brake bleeder pump i could pump  and get 24 inches of vacuum on the open fuel line from the tank...  it was that clogged..

the reason to disconnect the ignition system...  so there are NOT sparks created  while cranking with the fuel lines open..  

nc_scott
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 04/20/11 06:47 AM

Thanks I'll give it a try.  

TO TOP