Item Posts    Sort Order

C5 clutch upgrade

neilm760
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 05/09/11 02:43 PM

I added a Procharger to my 1999 C5 with an LS1. The stock clutch can't hold and slips under hard excelleration.  Please recommend a good replacement that will work with 470 rear wheel horsepower. Can I swap the C6 ZR1 system into my C5, or the Z06 set up? I intend to drive the car on the street and will get caught in stop and go traffic and want to maintain smooth engagement and not suffer the down side of too much clutch. What would work best in my application?
Thanks for your help.  

waynep7122
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 05/09/11 03:09 PM

that may be the dual mass flywheel...  and that may be what's slipping... as its reached the maximum torque delivered setting to avoid breaking drive train parts...

there are 2 corvette magazines on this site.. i saw this article. but i think there is another that lists all the different clutches and flywheels available for that model...

here is one article to start you out with...

http://www.corvettefever.com/shop4parts/corp_0502_1997_2004_chevy_corvette_clutch_systems/index.html  

waynep7122
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 05/09/11 03:15 PM

oh.. most of the clutch articles are stashed over at Vetteweb... the other corvette web site..   there are a few dozen more car magazines around this site.. click the link for the articles on clutches...

http://www.vetteweb.com/sch/02/clutch/articles/index.html  

neilm760
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 05/09/11 03:28 PM

I just read another corvette forum where they say an LS7 clutch system can be used but it requires using an LS7 flywheel and may require upgrading the master and slave cylinders for better actuation. I'm finding there are a lot of options. It would be great to hear feedback from someone who upgraded to see if they are happy with the results.

Thanks for the info.  

TO TOP