Item Posts    Sort Order

1984 c4 hood bolts broken

joeycaptjoey
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 03/05/11 01:04 PM

the two studs on the pas. side of hood that bolt to the hinge have broken flush with hood  any way to fix them? they are on a 1984 c4    thanks  

waynep7122
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 03/05/11 07:42 PM

hopefully someone will know ..  i personally have not examined that part of a C4..

i am taking you have the hood off the car properly..  can you see how the hinge studs are inserted on the other side....  

are they threaded into molded in braces...

9108211Y08 002

looks like you might be able to use any hood up through 1996 as a direct but different color bolt on.. but i would ask somebody with more knowledge of body parts swapping than me... i just do drivability most of the time....  

waynep7122
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 03/05/11 08:05 PM

depending on how the studs are threaded into the hood... you might be able do drill them out if you use extreme care ... and use a drill stop on the drill its self to prevent it from going all the way through if you break through..

they do make cobalt left hand drill bits... where you drill a 1/8 pilot hole.. then bury the drill hard into the broken bolt ... it will sometimes back out broken off bolts..

please use extreme care... when drilling.. and using easy outs...  guys who work in cylinder head machine shops are usually really good at getting out broken off bolts...   if you live in an area with tool and die manufacturing..  there will be a few places.. that use a special device to burn away the broken bolt or TAP . usually without damaging the surrounding metals..   i think its called EDN...  

TO TOP