Item Posts    Sort Order

1960 'vette renovation!

cocorvette
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 04/06/11 03:14 AM

Hi,
I have a beautiful Corvette from 1960. I want to have it renovated and I need advice from you. First of all I want to put in power steering. Do you know where are the best places to get the parts for that? Please mind I live in Europe, France so internet shops are preferred. Also, do you think all wiring should be changed? Any other changes, you reckon?
Any advice is much appreciated!
Thanks!  

19VETTE60
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 04/13/11 07:22 PM

Dad and I tried to install power steering as part of a Jim Myer front end package and could not get the pump, brackets, belt, and hoses to clear everything needed. We installed manual rack and pinion steering and works fine...but even that was a trick trying to run steering column thru the header. Jim Myer makes the steering bracket to route the shaft thru the header tubes.
the old wiring harness insulation is suspect at best. The rubber butyl insulation used back in the day was fine....but over the years the insulation becomes hard and brittle and could cause a fire. Even though its only a 12volt dc system the short circuit amps can be in the hundreds of amps which would be like having a dc arc welder where ever the short occurs. If you don't plan to drive the car....the wiring should be fine....but if you're gonna drive the 60 then I'd definately replace the wiring.  

TO TOP