Item Posts    Sort Order

keeps stalling

kevscorvette
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 01/30/11 07:54 PM

Hello!
I have a 1988 vette that runs for 5-10 minutes then stalls and will not start back up for about 20 minutes. I have changed the fuel pump & filter but that did not solve the problem. please advise!!  

waynep7122
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 01/30/11 08:34 PM

start with the coolant temp sensor on the front of the intake sticking straight forward under where the thermostat is...

pick up a coolant temp sensor and pigtail connector.. as a part number SU102 at any autozone store in duralast  or SU102 in wells at many others stores..

why the 2 piece kit.. the coolant temp sensors go bad.. as do the connectors...  the pair in one box is only a buck or two more that the individual price of either part alone...

Su102

this is a cheep fix.. and it does work.. a lot of these have failed...

you can with a scan tool look at the live data stream to see what the sensors are doing..   but many people don't have an OBD1 scan tool that will read the live data..  or know what the live data means...

oh.. that part number is under 20 bucks... so it won't hurt bad to just try it... until you can verify with a scan tool looking at live data...  

waynep7122
Posted: 01/30/11 08:43 PM

here is a chart for the scan data... to compare ONE line at a time....

you should also check for trouble codes.. post the numbers..

Scandata  

kevscorvette
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 01/31/11 07:29 AM

Thanks, hopefully ill get out of work early enough to change the coolant sensor today. I don't really have access to one of those scan tools though. Are you saying you're sure its some type of sensor that's causing the problem?  

waynep7122
Posted: 01/31/11 05:16 PM

its cheep.... its been known to fail and cause the exact problem you are describing...

without a scan tool....   its the first thing to change...

did you see my post on scan tools over in the active posts...

the connector can also fail...   which is why you should pick up both as a kit for the price of just one of them alone...  

TO TOP