Ad Radar
Item Posts    Sort Order

ooommmgggg!!!!

wilsterzc4
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 01/01/11 06:05 PM

seriously???is there no pics anywhere of what a gm steering wheel removal tool anywhere?i have looked high and low..guess im gonna have to make my own..the ones ive bought all only help force back on not take off....  

waynep7122
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 01/02/11 08:42 AM

one type of steering wheel puller...   there are 2 slot pullers.. and 4 slot pullers...  air bag equipped gm cars need special puller legs that fit into the slots provided and rotate .. then slide into the open sides of the steering wheel puller..

http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/product-info/en/US/grn/27017/image/4/

this is a steering column lock plate depressor... once the steering wheel is off.. and the plastic cover (like a coffee can lid) is removed... you need one of these to depress the steel slotted plate slightly to get the wire retaining ring out..

http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/product-info/en/US/grn/27044/image/4/

one warning...  if you have a tilt and teloscopic column...  the shaft is loose and you will have to use an allen set screw to lock the center shaft in place. while you are using the lock plate depressor..

one warning..   with T&T columns..  the 5 tabbed spring insulator on the shaft under the big spring mounted to the back of the steering wheel is fragile... use extreme care to remove it..   corvette suppliers and steering column suppliers have them...   GM should.. but the image of the part number in their system is not readable..  i have tried a few times to get them...
here is a picture of it..

http://stolenandrecovered.com/ui/imgs/asst/horn07.jpg

without this.. the horn is going to honk when you put it back together...

replacing the ignition lock cylinder.. the turn signal switch...  or tightening the tilt column pivot bolts require going this deep into the column...  

waynep7122
Posted: 01/02/11 08:48 AM

there are several articles in some of the other magazines on the t and t tear down..

there are also videos on it... online... from one of the theft repair companies..

i can search them and link it if you need it...  

waynep7122
Posted: 01/02/11 08:50 AM

here is one from the site i mentioned...

http://www.stolenandrecovered.com/howto/index.php

they have several more....  

boopsc4
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 01/05/11 07:31 PM

I have 1985 Corvette, and when the weather is hot,it won't start. It has to cool down,anywheres from half hr.to an hour.I am wondering if any one else has had this problem.
Thank you,
boopsc4.
My email is boops1230@yahoo.com  

waynep7122
Posted: 01/05/11 09:37 PM

boops...

clean the battery cables at the battery first..

make sure there is NO corrosion behind the bolts hidden under the rubber boots...   boiling hot water and a stainless steel wire tooth brush..

if you have a remote starter switch.. you might hook it up to the starter solenoid.. see if its actually the starter going bad...

it probably is..

there is on automatic cars a neutral safety switch.. on stick shift cars a clutch safety switch...  

there is also an alarm relay stashed someplace that prevents the starter from operating when the alarm is active..

hot soak problems..  is usually the starter or starter solenoid.. change the complete starter... be sure to have a stainless steel wire tooth brush to clean the ring terminals at the starter.. the top bolt also has to be fairly tight... not just snug...

Starterwiring  

swiftrider1
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 01/19/11 12:11 PM

Check the wire from the battery to the distributor to see if it is broken where the wire pulgs into the distributor. That white plug will break easily and come loose enough to shut the engine down and when it cools it make contact enough to start again. Let me know what you find. Grin  

drunkard
Posted: 01/20/11 09:29 PM

i have an 84 that i just got and i am having similar problems i have to spray starter fluid to get it run most times and other times it will start right up if you figure this out pleas let me know  

waynep7122
Posted: 01/21/11 10:15 AM

drunkard... i answered on your PM... i also posted that you should probably change the engine coolant temp sensor on the front of the intake.. under the smog pump...

an su102 from autozone as a duralast or wells part number is probably where you should start... you will have to crimp in the new connector that comes with it...  

when the coolant temp sensor fails.. it makes it hard to start... and requires the starting fluid or carb spray  to richen up the mixture enough to start the engine...

that su102 is under 20 bucks.. takes under half an hour to install.. will solve many problems...

i gave more info on the other post and the private message you left...  

Gearwich
Posted: 03/21/13 05:08 PM

Could also be the ecm going bad had a camaro with same motor do that. Had to cool down then after a while itburnt completely out ran over 400 bucks to have s nee one installed.  

TO TOP