Item Posts    Sort Order

Buying fender flares?!

Bjstrait
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 09/27/10 08:35 PM

Hey guys, I just bought myself a 66 project car. This 66 is different in the fact that the last owner dropped the body on top of a 2002 z06 frame. Obviously the 02 frame has a much wider wheel base so I need to put some big fender flares on it. Does anyone know a place I would be able to buy pre made fender flares that aren't the typical universal ones? Or do you possible have an alternative solution to my problem?

http://s1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff367/bjstrait/?action=view¤t=5a5c27df.png

Take a look  

waynep7122
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 09/27/10 10:03 PM

wow.... there are so many ways to go.. flat fender flares.. that just follow the tires shape...

imsa type of flares... where additional body panels are bonded on in sections to widen the body over the tires...   that might work out the nicest...  you might have to look for early 70s issues of hot rod or car craft..  where they built the BIg Banana..   grafting on Imsa fender flares to a C3... looked nice... started my love of vettes.. i probably have that issue... but it will take 2 or 3 days of work to dig deep enough into my boxes to find it at the back of my storage...

there was a nova done by little john buttera and his son where they put a C4 suspension under the 66/67 nova.. they carefully welded on tapered sections of new quarter panels to extend the stock body lines..

i think there was a mid size done the same way about 10 years ago ..

for the hardest to *** ....  i have never seen it done on a car.. but its not impossible as there are wide body vans... where they cut them inhalf the long way... right down the center line...   added 12 inches..   had custom rear axles... and custom windshields that were made from 2.. with a seam down the middle..  i have a friend with a 67 fairlane with a wish to put a nascar chassis under it..  he had a matching pair of cars.. i told him to cut each body in half... at the 1/3 mark.. hang the large sections on the nascar chassis... so he would keep the tires under the body...

3D77dfb2

5A5c27df

2Ba44a62  

waynep7122
Posted: 09/27/10 10:08 PM

oh.. the fairlane guy... wondered what to do with the narrow halfs...

my thought and he liked it... was to weld them back together for a single seater wide fairlane... but probably an electric conversion...  no room for a V8.... being able to squeese what looks like a muscle car into a compact parking spot was interesting..

you could cover the car with the blue transparent film that is used to protect windows during construction...

then glue on big styrofoam sections... carve them until they look right.. and the doors open and close...  stretch another layer of film over the outside  to give you a totally smooth surface.. then pull a form from it... fiberglass shops can do that quickly...    then do final touches and lay in some glass  for you to bond to your fenders..  make sure that you have in your contract with the fiberglass shop that you own the molds... this way you can sell copies if they look as good as i think they might..

just envision this....     changing a 4 tail light biscayne into a 6 tail light impala... done the hard way by adding extra fender width to it...

there are also some articles around the various magazines about modifying bumpers... where you have the chrome and nickel stripped by a chrome shop... so you can cut weld and splice them...   then send them back for replating and polishing and rechroming..  

lochmoighman
Posted: 10/01/10 08:52 PM

I have a big block 63 with pretty nice flares on all four corners but could not figure out how you guys are inserting photos into replies...  

waynep7122
Posted: 10/01/10 09:59 PM

post the photos you want the world to see...

to photobucket...  its free...

after saving.. you can copy the 4th of the URls possible ...  it will have IMG at both ends...   i did that with his link above...  just grabbed the 4th link and posted it into my answer...

so post some ideas for him....    i bet that really hangs the corners...  

lochmoighman
Posted: 10/11/10 07:37 PM

I am such a technotard...  I uploaded to bucket & know what a URL is but danged if I can get a handle on "4th URL or "4th Link".  I "copied" one photo but it would not "paste" here....

He should see what the car has -if only to know what ia available. But as I mentioned earlier, there is no provenence with the car so I don't know where the flares came from. It is really a pretty car & has 11 inch tires on the back and eight inches on the front.  
Yeah, it will smoke through a high speed sweeper faster than I have the stones for.  But with those front tires, a 200 pound increase in engine weight & no power steering, it is the worst low speed handling car I have ever had. So... I just don't drive it slow...  

waynep7122
Posted: 10/11/10 08:21 PM

forth link...

Image Links

starts with a IMG... took me a while to figure it out......  i know i am a techno nerd...  i love older macs...  G4s...

current is a G4 mirror door DP1.25 with a gig of ram.. but my 1985 mac plus  1 meg still works...  

lochmoighman
Posted: 10/12/10 09:32 AM

I was finally able to post the following photos of pretty decent fender wells, thanks to Wayne and my son.  If anybody recognises the manufacturer that would be cool because I do need some information.
MacK  

Aftof63

IMGP2273

IMGP2275  

freddiezee
Posted: 10/14/10 07:28 AM

These appear to be Eckler's from the 70's. They broke the molds for these. If I can find a set, I'd buy them in a minute. If you know someone who has them, let me know or if they would make a mold, I'd pay for it.

Thanks,
Fred Z.  

lochmoighman
Posted: 10/21/10 10:07 PM

I hope we get some commentary generated here.  I have a couple of cracks beginning to show up & wonder if they are related to the flares or if they are just the usual Corvette nonsense.  Thanks for the reply - I will Google Eckler & see what comes up.  Do you know of any other decent Vette forums?
Thanks,
MacK  

Bjstrait
Posted: 10/24/10 10:50 AM

Thanks for all the responses guys. My other issue with the set up of the car that I described is that it still has the rear tranny in the car like the c5 vetoes which means a custom tunnel was made for the car for the torque tube. The tunnel was done very well but the problem is that it doesn't allow normal size seats. It looks like I am working with about a 16 inch wide seat. Do you think it would be better to buy the conversation kit for the ls motor to put a regular tranny on it and get rid of the tunnel or keep it the way it is and find narrow seats?  

TO TOP