Item Posts    Sort Order

Brake pads and caliper replacement question

Andyman
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 11/12/10 09:13 AM

Hey gang - new C6 ('07) owner here just learning the ropes and I have a basic question:

My mechanic says that with C6 Corvettes you throw out the caliper at the same time you replace the brake pads. He also said the pads are very expensive. Says you're looking at $700-$800 each time the pads wear out. I find all this a bit hard to believe.

Is what he says at all true?  

waynep7122
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 11/12/10 09:41 AM

the rotors not the calipers...

when the rotor surface wears...  it wears at a taper... the outer diameter actually moves at a faster inches per second than the inner part of the wear surface...   when the rotors have worn... there will be a small ridge on the outside..... this is were the material is worn away...

when installing new pads.. they are parallel...  the calipers are parallel..

if the rotor surface is worn to a taper..  the pads will contact close to the center of the rotors braking surface.. the calipers will have to flex to allow the pads to contact the outer surface to fully apply...

since corvette calipers are very rigid.. they are NOT going to flex .. your brake pedal will be spongy... the car may not want to stop...

you are not alone in needing to replace rotors at every brake job...

most high end european cars are already that way...

benz, bmw..   pads and rotors all get replaced at the same time..

this is a job that many corvette owners can actually do on their own..  its not that hard a job...   get somebody to show you how to do it..

its covered in the factory service manual..

i will look tonight to see if any brake jobs are covered in the magazines.. other than installing bigger brakes...  

Andyman
Posted: 11/12/10 09:55 AM

Waynep7122:

Thanks for the response! Very helpful. I'd appreciate any additional post and will look into doing it on my own.  

waynep7122
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 11/13/10 02:56 AM

race rotors.... FYI... more than a street car needs.. but important knowledge

http://www.corvettefever.com/techarticles/corp_1010_corvette_brake_rotors/index.html

az covers some of the 07 brake systems

http://www.autozone.com:80/autozone/repairinfo/repairguide/repairGuideContent.jsp?pageId=0996b43f8075d98c

you will have to join az and log in to go to other sections of the az site.. upper right corner is the join and log in link...  

Andyman
Posted: 11/14/10 09:26 AM

Extremely helpful reads. Thanks for the posts!  

TO TOP