Item Posts    Sort Order

Loose Steering Problem -Plz Help

MissB
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 08/21/10 09:23 PM

I am helping someone restore an 1984 Corvette and unfortunately I have very little mechanical experience.

When driving straight it seems as though the steering is a bit loose, the wheel moves back and forth and makes the car walk around the road. I thought perhaps this may just be a problem with the alignment but I'm not sure. Any ideas??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  

waynep7122
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 08/21/10 10:34 PM

with the front wheels on the ground..  the  hood open. engine running if possible... reach in through the open window while standing beside the drivers door...

work the steering wheel back and forth until you see the left front tire start to turn.

go back and forth...  how much free play is there..  more than about 1 inch an inch with the engine off..  almost nothing with the engine running..

if you can get someone to rock the steering wheel back and forth... to the limits of the  free play with the front tires pointed straight ahead...

take a look at the coupler at the rack and pinion  in front and below of the left exhaust manifold... see if its torn...

see if the rack and pinion housing is moving back and forth.. instead of using all of the forces to move the tires..  there are rubber mounts that hold the rack and pinion to the frame/crossmember so the housing does not move but is isolated slightly from transferring road noise to the chassis..

see if the tie rod ends are worn....  if the tie rod moves and the part it is attached to does not.. for that little bit of motion.. the tie rod ends might be bad...

ball joints take more to check.. as they are under spring tension..

tell you what...

autozone.com has a corvette free repair info that covers your year of corvette...  lots to read... a few images.. and pictures...

join and log in at the upper right corner..

select your corvette.. when logged in.. just above where you selected the car.. there will be a blue link that says.. free repair info...

you don't have to enter personal data.. just click in the left frame again on repair info...

then look for the suspension and steering link about half way down..  click it.. then look for steering again..   or front suspension..

its like going to school to learn mechanics...

it covers a LOT of info.. and they have hidden some..  but suspension and steering is easy to find..

there are also a LOT of things in the rear suspension that can make it wonder.. lots of bushings..

i am wondering if the steering column its self has come loose.. where the wheel wobbles around loose in your hands.>?????

that is fixable also....

you can tell if the car is out of alignment for a while.. if you run your hands across the blocks of the front tires...

if the front tires have the rows of treads like this.../ / / / /   less angle..  it might be out of alignment..

that car is 26 years old... so expect some worn parts...

there are a lot of other posts on that model...

there is a search link above.. type in 1984... or 84...  and you will find a bunch of posts...

including a bunch on the crossfire fuel injection system... and how to make it work...  

TO TOP