Item Posts    Sort Order

1982 Cross-Fire has engine surge at cruise between 1300-1600 RPM

bryhart
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 09/28/10 10:38 AM

My C3 is stock except it has a small cam and headers with high flow cats. At steady cruise I am experiencing an engine surege (200 RPMs) between 1300-1600 RPM. This happens in all gears.
I have checked or replaced everything I can think of (fuel pressure, fuel filter, wires, plusgs, distributor, o2 sensor (non heated), vacuum leaks, thermostat, etc) but cannot seem to fix the issue. Any ideas?  

waynep7122
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 09/28/10 02:37 PM

a few places to check..   and warning... you have to open the images in a new window .. as they are larger than the window that is on this site...  to see the whole image.. and the important parts...   print the image... or save it to your hard drive....

you said... you checked the fuel pressure????  how did you do it...

surging is usually low fuel pressure..

how did you check the fuel pressure ???? i don't recall there being a fuel pressure test connection???

or a leaking vacuum hose to the MAP sensor.... could also be a restricted hose to the map sensor..   so the map sensor is slow to respond..

see the map sensor on the firewall...  i don't recall if this is the 82 picture or the 84...
82Crossfire

did you replace the round coaxial connector coolant temp sensor with a later oval connector coolant temp sensor???? same calibration... far superior design...  

Su102

i am talking that your car has an ALDL connector under the dashboard to allow a gm OBD1 scan tool to be plugged in.... so you can see the live data stream from the sensors..

Aldl

did you verify that the ground wires for the ECM are properly grounded ... and the wires are not damaged...

the ECM is only grounded to the engine..... look on the right side of this picture...

82Crossfirerightview  

tcb1054
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 10/16/11 11:27 AM

Hi, the pictures you posted seem to have been pulled, if possible, could you re-post?  This looks like the issue I am having as well, Thanks in advance for any help you can provide  

waynep7122
Posted: 10/17/11 01:10 PM

a few places to check..   and warning... you have to open the images in a new window .. as they are larger than the window that is on this site...  to see the whole image.. and the important parts...   print the image... or save it to your hard drive....

you said... you checked the fuel pressure????  how did you do it...

surging is usually low fuel pressure..

how did you check the fuel pressure ???? i don't recall there being a fuel pressure test connection???

or a leaking vacuum hose to the MAP sensor.... could also be a restricted hose to the map sensor..   so the map sensor is slow to respond..

see the map sensor on the firewall...  i don't recall if this is the 82 picture or the 84...
82Crossfirerightview
Crossfire

did you replace the round coaxial connector coolant temp sensor with a later oval connector coolant temp sensor???? same calibration... far superior design...  

i am talking that your car has an ALDL connector under the dashboard to allow a gm OBD1 scan tool to be plugged in.... so you can see the live data stream from the sensors..

Aldl

84Vettecrossfireenginelocations

did you verify that the ground wires for the ECM are properly grounded ... and the wires are not damaged...

the ECM is only grounded to the engine..... look on the right side of this picture...

82Crossfirerightview

84Crossfirewiring

C4codes1

C4codes2  

waynep7122
Posted: 10/17/11 01:13 PM

did you see this post...

http://forums.corvettefever.com/70/8585187/c4-corvettes/which-used-scan-tools-for-82-to-94-corvettes-with/index.html  

TO TOP