Ad Radar
Item Posts    Sort Order

Starter Problems ~ 1982 Stingray Corvette, Collectors Edition

windtalker
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 09/22/10 12:41 PM

Hi there,
I have recently been in the market for a Stringray Corvette and I have found several in my price range. I know very well that I will have to put money into the car, but the first step is finding one with the minimun problems and accident free.

I found one a few days ago and I visited it in person. It is a 1982 Corvette Stingray Collectors Edition, with a 350 engine with manual transmission. The body looked fine (for it's age) and it did not have any bondoing in the past. The interior is brand new with new seats, carpets and everything. Mechanically I am not very familar with the corvette, and I am having second thoughts on purchasing it. The car runs very smoothly with no kicks or whistles. It does not leak, nor smell like gasoline after a drive. HOWEVER! The car will not start up instantly when you turn the key. The car coughs a few times, and in some cases you need to turn the key several times before it works.

The engine was never rebuilt, nor the transmission. It currenly has 130k miles on it.

Question:
1)What can the potential problems be with the starter?

-the owner said, i need a new starter and its not an expensive part, but i do not believe him since he is selling the car for 5,000 dollars.

2) Is this car a good buy or is the starter not a good sign?

~Les  

waynep7122
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 09/22/10 03:47 PM

that corvette has crossfire injection from the factory....    Throttle body injection... as was installed on MILLIONs of other Gm cars and trucks up through 93... or 94... but its an early system .. and if it has not been brought up with some new parts to replace the known failure parts on an almost 30 year old car...

some are done with normal repairs...    i have answered a LOT of questions about crossfire on the 82 and 84 models on the 2 corvette magazines..

major things that need to be changed..  if found to be bad...

distributer cap and rotor.. be sure to swap the ground strap into the new cap...  
spark plugs and spark plug wires .. with new correct wire separators..
pickup coils inside the distributer..
ignition coils in the cap... check for signs of external leakage..

coolant temp sensor and pigtail... the original version had a coaxial round connector.. these need to be replaced with an Oval connector 2 pin coolant temp sensor and pigtail...

the throttle position sensor and pigtail...

the vacuum hoses have to be verified.. .

the in tank fuel pumps have a tendency to fail...  i have not done one on an 82.. on the 84 C4 cars they take less than an hour to change.. probably the same on an 82.. through the  gas cap access door...

if it is hard to crank..  new or rebuilt starters are available.. along with heat shields to go over the starter solenoid to shield it from the heat of the exhaust...

many times... gm's can be helped with a starter relay that is stashed out of sight... so the load the starter solenoid requires to pull the plunger in is not run all the way through the ignition switch...  it can be done inside the car at the bulkhead connector...   normally i stash them over on the firewall out of site.. but i have not done one on a C3...

i don't know if that engine was built with an aluminum cam timing gear with nylon teeth...  so working the crank back and forth with a breaker bar and a 5/8 deep socket on the crank center bolt to see how much slack there is in the timing chain... more than about 3/8" to 7/16" at the outside of the damper means.. you should probably plan on a new timing chain set...   if you do the water pump.. do it at that time...

don't get alarmed..   these are normal things that almost everybody has to do to their 30 year old fuel injected cars...

feel free to ask questions...

i don't know or do car values...  whole different subject.. out of my field...  

Eagar1
Posted: 04/18/12 02:59 AM

I know this post is over a year old but just as an FYI all 82 corvettes came with the 700r4, there was no manual trans offered. If it has a manual trans, it was swapped in, and is not original to a Collectors Edition. This may not be a big deal, as you may want a manual trans, but just be aware that it will reduce the value of the vehicle as a CE. I have an 82 CE and altho I would prefer a manual, I want to keep it original.  

pepsi1
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 04/18/12 04:13 AM

In 1984 they had a 4 speed manual box with a 3 speed automatic connected to it what a piece of junk to work on...

Bob  

pepsi1
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 04/18/12 04:17 AM

Icon Quotewindtalker:
Hi there,
I have recently been in the market for a Stringray Corvette and I have found several in my price range. I know very well that I will have to put money into the car, but the first step is finding one with the minimun problems and accident free.

I found one a few days ago and I visited it in person. It is a 1982 Corvette Stingray Collectors Edition, with a 350 engine with manual transmission. The body looked fine (for it's age) and it did not have any bondoing in the past. The interior is brand new with new seats, carpets and everything. Mechanically I am not very familar with the corvette, and I am having second thoughts on purchasing it. The car runs very smoothly with no kicks or whistles. It does not leak, nor smell like gasoline after a drive. HOWEVER! The car will not start up instantly when you turn the key. The car coughs a few times, and in some cases you need to turn the key several times before it works.

The engine was never rebuilt, nor the transmission. It currenly has 130k miles on it.

Question:
1)What can the potential problems be with the starter?

-the owner said, i need a new starter and its not an expensive part, but i do not believe him since he is selling the car for 5,000 dollars.

2) Is this car a good buy or is the starter not a good sign?

~Les

If anyone bondos over fiberglass stay as far away from it as you can Grin  Cool  Cool
Go to Jegs or Summit and get a HiPO Mini starter they are tuff..Don't buy the $99 dollar one spend a couple hundred and get a good one
Bob  

pepsi1
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 04/18/12 04:58 PM

Well he may not have had to replace a starter...You can purchase the old big starters for a $100.00 through Jegs. Those things are always going bad especially if someone removed the front support braket...

Thats a good sign also as if the starter has been replaced if hes the original owner he will know...Check that front nose bracket on he starter....

Any time you purchase any car or truck expect to put atleast 10% of the purchase price in for repairs...

You know one thing you could do is have him drive it and you follow him. Look at where the front of the car is in relationship to the rear...If its off center or dog legs offer to have it check out by a good front end shop...see what they say...

The hard starting after its hot is normal for a starter thats bad...It just means its binding somewhere?

Bob  

87corvette
Posted: 04/19/12 09:19 PM

Also if it has headers, starters do not like heat.  As long as originality is not an issue, I recommend a hot start kit.  This has a remote solenoid and works great. I have one on my 67 Chevelle.  What a difference.  

TO TOP