Item Posts    Sort Order

C-2 Hot rod rear end

lochmoighman
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 08/29/10 12:15 AM

Through a strange series of circumstances, I find myself in possession of a 63' roadster with a semi-built 454 rat. Probably somewhere between 450 and 550 hp.  No provenance is available - 0 history. So my question is: When Corvettes went to the big block in 1965, did they have to beef up the rear end and/or suspension? Or was there sufficient strength in the early independent rear suspensions for the increased power?  In other words, might I have a built-in weak link that I will grenade the first time I drop the hammer?  
C1C2  

waynep7122
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 08/29/10 09:24 PM

i have seen this one sitting here. and hoped somebody would have an answer to it...

i emailed a friend.. here is what he said...

Outside of drum Vs disc brakes there is very little difference. There was some beefing up, heavier yokes mainly, but none of it amounted to much. To be truthful, no Vette rear is strong enough to hold up to being abused by a Rat for long.  There are some aftermarket parts available, but they are all very expensive, and the whole thing has to be reworked, ring and pinion, axles, stub axles, driveshaft, hub carriers and all. Best advise, don't put much tire on it, and it will last for a while.

frank

lochmoighman
Posted: 08/30/10 09:21 PM

Crap! I was afraid somebody would say that.  But that's kind of what I figured. It's got 12 inch tires on the back so I guess I'll just crank em up to 45 psi and refuse the Viper when he comes over to play.  Appreciate the advice guys.
C1C2  

lochmoighman
Posted: 09/03/10 09:28 PM

Upon further thought, is there any way to tell if some of the back-end components have indeed been beefed up?  Since I turn 3000 at 60 mph with the wide ratio Muncie, it is obvious that the rear end has been played with (it feels like 4:30 or so) and whoever did the work has not gone cheap in anything on the car that I have looked at - I am thinking ... maybe he added some strength  back there? Do they make beefier U-joints and splines etc.?  Is there a way to recognize them?

I gotta tell you guys how great this forum is.  I have had a couple of C1s but know zilch about the C2 (or big-blocks for that matter). Thank you for the help.
C1C2  

TO TOP