Item Posts    Sort Order

C5 Steering wheel lock up

clalli
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 08/08/10 03:59 PM

Hi if anyone has any solution on why my steering locked up and is there any way of bypassing it so I can move my car. Is there anything out thier to fix this problem without going to the dealer.

Thank You,
Claudio  

clalli
Posted: 08/08/10 04:01 PM

Hi if anyone has any solution on why my steering locked up and is there any way of bypassing it so I can move my car. Is there anything out thier to fix this problem without going to the dealer.

Thank You,
Claudio  

waynep7122
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 08/08/10 04:41 PM

there was something in the way of a fix.. but i will have to search for it.. i think it got posted about 2 months ago.. either here or on the vette web forums...

there is this article in the other vette mag on this site..

http://www.vetteweb.com/tech/vemp_0808_c5_corvette_steering_lock_repair/index.html

with important info...    you corvette might have been recalled for this problem... twice.. the numbers are in the article...

the pictures show how to install the bypass simulator..   the text describes how it works...

i will look around for more later..

if you google      C5 steering wheel locked..    it will come back with a bunch of hits on the problem...  

QS03NY
Posted: 03/16/11 05:34 PM

The column lock bypass has to be installed before the problem occurs. It won't make the column unlock by installing it. Some people have gotten it to unlock by giving the wheel a manly clockwise twist possibly repeated several times. It is said that the problem usually occurs as a result of a low battery situation because the column lock circuit is a relatively high voltage draw. If you can't get it unlocked you are probably going to need to be towed to a GM Service location. Best of luck to you.  

TO TOP