Item Posts    Sort Order

low beam headlight problem.

vetteguy05
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 08/02/10 05:33 PM

Anybody have problems with the low beams working sometimes and not others?  The high beams come on each time I unlock the car with the fob while it's in a dark garage, but when I open the door they go off.  I've replaced the relay as well as the headlight switch on the column.  Still no lights.  The high beams work fine.  When I switch to "on" the dash lights don't even dim.  

waynep7122
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 08/03/10 07:25 AM

i take it that you have an 05 model..

there are more relays than normal in most of these systems.. i will check around tonight .. see if i can find a wiring diagram for an 05....

this could also be computer controlled...  the newer cars have CAN systems to control them..

if you have a factory service manual.. or online access to eautorepair.net   or alldatadiy.com

it will have the trouble shooting... and diagrams...

edit   edit.. edit..    update...

i found some diagrams....   this is the headlight switch... where is connects to the BCM and then sends into the headlight relays...

http://repairguide.autozone.com/znetrgs/repair_guide_content/en_us/images/0996b43f/80/24/26/8b/large/0996b43f8024268b.gif

here is the actual headlight wiring...

http://repairguide.autozone.com/znetrgs/repair_guide_content/en_us/images/0996b43f/80/24/26/8c/large/0996b43f8024268c.gif

there are 2 relays that control the headlights  

one for the high beams... relay # 39

one for the low beams     relay # 47

so.. you might try changing the relay in socket #47 in the relay box under the hood of the car...    see if that cures the headlight problems...

i would also like you to hook up a scan tool to the OBD2 connector and see if it set any trouble codes..  there are trouble codes for everything..

this requires a scan tool that is can enabled... like the autoxray techscan 7000  

vetteguy05
Posted: 08/04/10 05:26 PM

Ok, I've already replaced the low beam relay at #47 as well as the headlight switch itself.  The headlights work sometimes, usually after I quit trying to use them for a while.  Could the balasts work intermittently?  

waynep7122
Posted: 08/04/10 07:28 PM

beyond me... i have not opened a book on the HID headlights...

i will check around.. but you are going to need a factory service manual... or online manual access....

check back in a day or two.. i will look around... perhaps somebody who drops by will know more about them...

when these things start breaking.. people are really going to miss the 5 to 7 buck sealed beams...  even the 10 to 15 buck 9004's...

as far as i know.. these are high voltage parts.. so.. knowing what you are doing before digging in.. so you don't get lit up...  

vetteguy05
Posted: 08/05/10 08:12 PM

I got the wrong relay from the dealership.  I went to the local NAPA and they set me up with the right one.  I installed it in the car and turned the switch to "on" and the lights lit right up.  I drove 14 miles home however, and the lights won't work again.  What causes the relay to kick out?  Won't they reset themselves?  

waynep7122
Posted: 08/05/10 09:35 PM

this is going to require more testing and info than i have at this time...

do you have a factory service manual..???/  or a subscription to eautorepair.net

for the factory repair info online..  

vetteguy05
Posted: 08/06/10 08:05 AM

Here's the latest.  I started the car up this morning and wiggled the low beam relay and the lights came on.  I am thinking it's actually a fusebox issue.  The relays are fine.  

waynep7122
Posted: 08/07/10 07:21 AM

vette guy 05 posted this on another thread..  i thought i would post it here to help other owners later..

I wanted to let you all know how I finally fixed my low headlight problem.  I put a headlight switch in, changed the relay, and nothing worked.  What fixed it was when I took the fuse box apart and found that 2 contact points where the low beam relay plugs in were slightly bent and weren't allowing the relay to work.  I took a small scribe and moved the contact points in the fusebox and everything works fine now.  I had issues where the lights would work sometimes, and also when they worked they would sometimes just blink off going down the road.  I realize now that when traveling over our bumpy highways sometimes the jarring would cause the relay to disconnect which would switch off the headlights.  So, that's why if you have a problem, talk to your friends. Don't try to figure it out on your own.  I used suggestions from my friends as well as this sight to finally fix the problem without spending $1000 at a dealership.  Thanks for your help everyone!!  

TO TOP