Item Posts    Sort Order

Electrical Problems

philvette
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 08/20/12 08:23 AM

I did the battery load test and all checked out good.

I ran Bill Curlee's test on the switch.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1568186703-post64.html

Fuses #19,#18,#17,#22,all read .01 volts.

Fuses #13, #16 read 4-5 volts.

By Bill's test this would indicate a bad switch.

In the process of running these checks with the key on eventually all the relays stopped clicking and I could hear everything switch back to normal. I checked the dash and eveything was fine. So I started the engine and it ran normal. I then proceeded to run your tests.

I got 14.5 volts for your #1. I got .04 volts for your #2. #3 and #4 always measured at least .02 volts but sometimes jumped to as high as .07 volts.

After I shut the engine off and turn the key back on the problem reappears, Bill's test repeats the same results and eventually it again corrects and I read battery volts at all of Bill check points.  

waynep71222
My first time was in a Chevy
Posted: 08/20/12 09:19 AM

thats a GREAT thread...

the real issue is designing the switches with WIPING CONTACTS...

the sliding contacts of the late 60s through the mid 90s spoiled us.. they were so reliable..  they still failed.. but it was no where near as often..   they also used brass contacts... these are SILVER contacts.  but are NOT sliding at all.. just a direct movement.

if the lever that applied force to the spring levers.. depressed them farther.. it would drag the contact across the contact face slightly and keep the contacts clean..  or cleaner..

there was one forum post here a while back... that the guy had spent thousands of dollars replacing stuff.. when it was just the ignition...  i don't know if it was an independent shop or a dealership shop...  

philvette
Posted: 08/21/12 06:57 PM

I removed the switch, cleaned up the contacts and everything is back to normal. My switch is completely different than the one pictured above. The contacts were burned but they still cleaned up to a nice shine.
Thanks for all the help. My problem which I thought might be serious in the beginning ended up costing me nothing but time.  

jalphonso2
Posted: 01/09/13 05:45 PM

Hi Philvette, I had my window down and when I went to put it up it wouldn't bo, mirrors didn't work nor did the door locks and the instrument pannel went nuts saying check ABS, road handling, reduce speed..it just went nuts.. I pulled over turned off the car after sitting a few minutes and then everything was ok....what do you think?  

waynep71222
My first time was in a Chevy
Posted: 01/09/13 06:24 PM

phil has not logged on in a month...

but .. if you look at the link that phil posted... it takes you to a detailed tear down of the C5 ignition switch..

i have seen the prices for aftermarket  direct replacement switches price drop lately... so check around for pricing..

down to almost the point... it's more cost effective to replace it..

but its a LOT more fun to get in and take it apart and clean the individual contacts...  

TO TOP