Item Posts    Sort Order

Blinker inop

Chaotic
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 05/26/10 05:57 PM

I recently bought a 74 'vette and it runs about as good as i could ever find. one immediately noticeable problem it does have is the right blinker does not blink. it activates and remains solid until i turn it off. any ideas on how i would get it to blink again?  

waynep7122
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 05/26/10 10:10 PM

turn on the hazard flashers... walk around the car.. see which bulb is not working well..

when you find a bulb with a bad ground...  or a burned out bulb...

there will not be enough current flow to heat the flasher to force it to cycle the contact open..

you might take a digital volt meter...    long custom made test leads... every radio shack has ends to build long ones..  including piercing clips..    i normally do a voltage drop test at the bulb.. with the bulbs flashing..  

hook up the long test lead to the negative battery...   set the digital volt meter to  20 volt DC scale..   touch the other probe to the brass base of the bulb if you can reach it..    if you get more than 0.02 volts..  you have found your bad ground...

mid 60's to late 70's bulb sockets had various problems..  like corrosion..  and the ground wires rusting off..  inside the socket..

one way .. i have found... i know this is cheating...

but i take a length of black wire... the same size as the original ground wire...    strip back a few inches...   take a new bulb.. stick it into the socket...   wrap the stripped bare end of the wire around the top of the brass shield.. right where it meets the glass globe.. i then twist it tight..

i then feed it through the opening in the socket base.. thats usually there..  put a new ring terminal on the end and attach it to the stack of grounds  leads that is already there..  this give a new bulb a really good ground... i also use bulb grease under the bulb.. 99 cent packets are available.. or a 3 buck tube...

it is also possible that the turn signal switch has started to wear out..  it does happen.. they are available new in delco...  depending on if you just have tilt.. or tilt and telescopic..  

Chaotic
Posted: 05/27/10 04:08 PM

thank you for the helpful information

interesting find. after buying the car 2 days ago, i never checked the blinker after the initial inspection when i found the problem. after checking again today, i tried a few things. again when i turned on the car and activated the right blinker, it lit up and remained solid. i activated the left blinker, that worked fine as before. i activated the right blinker again, and what do you know, it worked. i tried again and again and it continued to work properly. now i need to find out why that one side does not work until after i use the left. i did notice when the car was off before i started and i activated the hazard lights that the right side was blinking fine, but a little dimmer than the left in the rear light. but that doesn't tell me why it wont work after i start the car for the first time i use the right blinker.... any advice on how to solve this mystery?
Confused  

waynep7122
Posted: 05/27/10 08:08 PM

the right side is dimmer do to bad grounds....

or do to worn or dirty contacts in the turn signal switch..

i bet the  grounds are bad as i described above...

remember... these cars are plastic.. and most plastics are not conductive ...

bad ground.. the bulb will try to ground through the tail light filaments ..

what???

turn on the head lights...    get the car in front of a big window so you can see the tail lights in the reflection...

i bet that if you step on the brakes when you have the headlights on..   the DIM side will go completely out and the bright side will work as normal..

if you have a bad ground on the front directional bulbs.. when you turn on the headlights.. one turn indicator on the dash board will come on..  but when you operate the turn signal switch in that direction..  the dash bulb flashes like it should..

WHAT....

yes... it does work that way...

why...

there are 2 filaments in the stop and tail light bulbs...

one filament for the stop lights... and its grounded to the shell..

one filament for the tail lights..  and its grounded to the shell...

if you loose the ground connection between the shell of the bulb and the chassis..  

the bulbs will just work really weird...  

Chaotic
Posted: 05/31/10 04:03 PM

alright, well like you said, it's really weird. after tinkering with the lights and using your op check the problem has seemed to have resolved itself, although I'm not exactly sure how. thank you for the help, I am sure i will have more questions in the future  

waynep7122
Posted: 05/31/10 04:40 PM

great...  i was glad to help...

if it comes back...

there are bulb socket cleaning brushes..  do so with the power off..

i used a 1/2" copper pipe cleaning brush.. from the plumbing department.. either near the copper solder type fitting or near the pluming solder supplies..

there is also bulb socket grease in 99 cent packets at the autoparts store..

keeps the socket from oxidizing..

best of luck...  

TO TOP