Item Posts    Sort Order

OIl Changes

JerryT
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 05/19/10 06:44 PM

What weigh oil is suggested for 327/350 engine?  

waynep7122
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 05/21/10 06:36 AM

depends upon your outside temp....

depends upon your end use...

also depends upon which version.. and the bearing clearances and if you have roller lifters...

newer motors have gotten away with much thinner oil...

high rpm race motors have gotten away with close to 0 weight oil...

one thing to remember... ever noticed the oil filter bypass valve in the oil filter adaptor...  little plastic button with a spring  behind it..

that allows the oil flow when it exceeds the filters ability to bypass the filter..   yes allowing unfiltered oil to the bearings...  a good reason to change your oil more...

much cold oil also bypasses the filter...

revving the motor with cold oil can outflow the oil filter bypass... since the cold oil cannot pass fast through the filter element... this extra oil flow crushes the oil filter element..  since most are made of rosin paper..  doing it can break the media... little chunks have been known to get into motors and clog the passages.. the motors tend to fail do to lack of oil pressure soon after..

cutting open the oil filters will reveal that parts of the element have broken away..   the filter companies have refused coverage as the filter has been over pressurized.. they just did not tell you how...

so oils... for 327 and 350 motors..

it depends upon your application... and your motor...

so... anywhere from 10 -30,  10-40, 15-40   10-50 was my favorite but i have not seen it in years.. shell fire and ice 10-50 was what i used.. but its been gone for decades..   20 -50 if you live in a really warm area...

roller lifter motors need thinner oil to lube the needle bearings and to keep them from failing..

these are just my personal opinions... i am not a lube engineer...

you really might want to use clean drain pans when you change your oil...   keep track of how many miles you drive... and check how worn the oil is you take out...   the reason i liked the shell fire and ice 10/50..  the boss as the shop i worked at used it in his car.. after 5k miles when i changed it... it came out like new...   the same product in 10/40 came out like water...  he drove almost 200 miles a day..  so i changed his oil a LOT..  

TO TOP