Ad Radar
Item Posts    Sort Order

Transmission problems

bikercouple
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 03/15/10 10:29 PM

I am a new member and am not sure if anyone can help me but.....I have an 85 corvette that I am having problems with the automatic transmission. When you put it into drive it hesitates to take off for a few seconds. It seems that, when it shifts from first to second, it acts like a manual transmission by the way it hesitates to go into gear. Also when I put it in reverse it won't move. This problem started when I changed the fluid and filter. Does anyone have any suggestions ???  Confused  

waynep7122
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 03/16/10 07:46 AM

yes... stop.....   drop the pan...    make sure that you got the little sleeves out of the filter neck hole...  

examine your filter that is is not cracked.. when you put the pan on.. and had to force the filter up...

the filter should insert into the case.. and hold in place.. the pan should go on without having to force the filter up..

the little rubber and steel seals stick in the case when filters get changed...  you have to dig them out..  without leaving bits in the transmission..  without the rubber seal... the pump cannot pull the proper amount of fluid through and will pull air and ruin the transmission..

how much ATF did you put back in..   it takes 5 quarts usually on those...

put in 3... start the motor.. put in another.. with the wheels in the air.. is how i do it...  place foot on brake.. drop it in drive.. let the rear wheels spin...   stop wheels with brake..  place in reverse.....  let wheels spin..  stop wheels move to park.. check fluid level...  add fluid till the full mark is reached..

it does take 5 or 6 quarts to bring it back to the full mark ... remember.. the low and full marks on the dip stick are half a quart...    with the engine running..

if you are sure that you have installed the filter properly... in fact check the fluid level first.. with the engine running...

700R4 transmissions were known for failures... like you describe..  they have been the bread and butter for transmission shops since they came out..   but they have made 10s of millions of them.. and the fuel savings is worth it..  and yes.. they are expensive to rebuild..  

if you operate the transmission low on fluid.. you will destroy it in a few minutes..   not just the clutches .. but the front pump  also..  

bikercouple
Posted: 03/16/10 11:31 AM

ok thanks waynep7122. I will remove the pan and start over again.  someone else said something about a balbearing may have fell out when I removed the filter the first time. has anyone ever heard of this possibility???  

archebald23
Posted: 07/01/10 08:25 PM

i dont think the ball bearing falling out could cause your problem. what was the reason of the fluid and filter change anyway? its best practice to just leave the trans fluid alone if not causing a problem. learned this the hard way when i tried to change my transmission filter.  

waynep7122
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 07/01/10 09:17 PM

fluid and filters should be changed about every 5 or 6 oil changes...

the filter necks are broken off by a lot of people who just don't understand how far into the opening they are installed...  

i have pulled my fair share of transmission filters and found several tube neck seals up in there..  

the transmission pump really has some serious vacuum to pull the fluid up from the bottom of the pan..

any ball bearings. in there.. i would worry about.. its not a normal thing to have floating around.. unless somebody dropped on when they were building the trans or it slipped off the separator plate when the valve body was being installed..  

TO TOP