Item Posts    Sort Order

1980 heater core change

bump123trucker
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 11/29/09 06:03 PM

I am wanting to replace my heater core and would really appreciate any advice offered. It appears to be a tough job. thanks Jimmy  

blworden
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 12/10/09 01:31 AM

Did you get the job done? If so I would like to know the steps you took because my oldest boy will start driving next year so I picked him up an 80 L82 Vette and I ordered a new radiator and heater core and would like to know of any pointers you could give on changing out the heater core. If you haven’t I will come back to this thread and let you know the steps we took.  

waynep7122
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 12/10/09 01:56 PM

autozone.com  has some basic info on it..  

you might really want to google this term....

c3 corvette heater core replacement             there are several online articles about it.. but i still think you are going to need the manual...  and a bunch of other parts to do the job right..

http://www.faxonautoliterature.com/   has a manual on cd for cheep...

1968-80 Vehicles

WITHOUT A/C
Disconnect the battery ground cable.

Drain the cooling system and remove and plug the water hoses from the heater connections.

Remove the air-distributor duct stud nuts on the firewall.

Remove the right instrument panel pad, right-hand dashboard braces, center dash console duct, and the floor outlet duct.

Remove the radio and center dashboard console.

Pull the distributor duct from the firewall and remove the resistor wires when clearance is sufficient.

Remove the heater core retaining springs and remove the core.

Installation is the reverse of removal. If core-to-case sealer was damaged during removal, replace with new sealer.

WITH A/C
Disconnect the battery ground cable.

Drain the cooling system. It is not necessary to evacuate the A/C refrigerant.

Disconnect the heater hoses at the firewall and plug the pipes.

Remove the nuts from the distributor studs protruding through the firewall.

Remove the right side dash pad and center dash cluster (described under "Instruments").

Disconnect the right dash outlet from the center duct.

Remove the center duct from the selector duct.

Remove the selector duct to the dash panel and pull it to the right and to the rear.

Remove the cables and wiring connectors from the selector and remove it from the car.

Remove the temperature door cam plate from the selector duct.

Remove the heater core and housing from the selector.

Reverse the removal procedure to install.

here is a link to the interior  case...

http://repairguide.autozone.com/znetrgs/repair_guide_content/en_us/images/0900c152/80/08/35/f7/large/0900c152800835f7.gif

you might also want to pick up a roll of open cell foam weatherstrip  from the home store.. three quarter inch wide.. quarter inch thick..  just to put around the places were the original had the foam insulation..  

TO TOP