Item Posts    Sort Order

High Oil Pressure Reading

I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 05/16/09 02:44 PM

Running 80 mph on interstate--oil pressure guage rises to 76#--reads 62# at idle.  Oil is fine, all other readings are fine--Any ideas as to problem?  

V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 05/23/09 04:00 PM

do you have a high volume pump?????  a fresh rebuild????

what weight oil are you running????   i want some of it if i can get that kinds of pressures...

if the oil pump pressure relief valve stuck.. and i have seen them stuck.. the filter blows off the motor...  

with that much oil pressure.. i might pull the distributer once in a while and check the drive gear and with a bright light examine the exposed gear teeth on the cam for wear...

important thing to know... if you install a high volume or high pressure pump...  or even when you install a replacement oil pump....  there is a oil pump intermediate shaft with a steel collar instead of the plastic collar... that the stock shafts have...  many parts stores have the melling version as a part number IS-55E...   other companys use similar part numbering systems..

at high pressure.. the only thing holding the intermediate shaft in place is the nylon piece...    7 to 10 bucks makes it a good deal when you have the pan and pump off..  

I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 03/16/11 06:01 PM

It could be a bad oil pressure sending unit.