Item Posts    Sort Order

'64 bumper re-install

greatswimmer
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 12/01/08 03:37 PM

I took my bumpers off before a recent paint job.  I am having trouble getting them back on.  I t-h-i-n-k they are the same bumpers, certain I have the correct brackets.

Can someone point me to the proper documented procedure?  It should be pretty simple, but the devil is in the details.  I cannot figure out how to securely fasten the inside mounting bracket once the bumper is in place.

Thanks.  
Cubic inch construction company

jeffbernhardt
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 12/06/08 08:08 PM

I'm pretty sure there is no "documented procedure", but the important thing is to install everything loose before you tighten any bolts up.  Rear brackets are shimmed to the rear crossmember of the frame, front brackets are not shimmed.  Your best source of an illustrated diagram would be the assembly manual.  

beekppr
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 12/30/10 11:14 PM

I have a 64 also and just put my front bumpers on a couple months ago. I didn't have any problem. I wonder if you have the brackets mixed up from left to right.

I took my time and did it while on my back. I recall putting all the brackets into position on the car first. The hardest part was fishing the long bracket through the grille but with patience, it isn't too bad. From there, I hung the bumper on the long center bracket from the k-frame but left the bolt loose. I then got the others started and positioned it just right before snugging it down  

TO TOP