Item Posts    Sort Order

Engine/drivetrain swap from C4 into a C3

diablo_man
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 10/28/08 10:11 PM

i have been looking into getting a c3(i love the looks) and modifying it to modernize, lighten up, 5 0r 6 gear manual, better mileage, etc. anyways question concerns most likely an earlier model C3 (with chrome bumpers) though that isnt yet set in stone.

i was hoping to put one of the higher performance engines and drivetrains from the C4 in there, such as the LT1, LT4, ZR1, or callaway twin turbo depending on what is available or fits. and along with that move the 6 gear ZF transmission in.

since i am not yet a total gearhead and i dont know the dimensions of the models, i dont really know if any of these could work or how much work would be involved to make it work. help?  

diablo_man
Posted: 10/29/08 12:00 AM

oops sorry i made a mistake. i am more interested in modifying a later model C3(non chrome). makes more sense, the engine is weaker(intend to replace anyways), and the buying price is lower.  

FLDAVE
Posted: 11/11/08 12:26 PM

Don't even consider a LT engine for any swap. They have a huge Achilles heel. The Optispark distributor. It's a real POS. I own a '92. I love the car other than the unreliability. I'm on my third distributor. Original, Dynasprak, MSD. All crap, all smoke and mirrors! They're $600.00 a pop and you're lucky to get two years out of one. It will be the last. When it goes I'm going to an L98 engine with a real distributor. A better option for you (and me) is an LS engine.  

81icon
Posted: 08/19/10 04:27 PM

I know i'm 2 yeaars late to this post but just completed a LT1 swap to an 81 corvette. I can't explain the hit and miss with optispark for some people but i have a friend with 160K on hers. But more to the point, i love my swap; absolutely awesome. will be making a web page soon.  

vitamanedg
Posted: 12/20/10 10:27 PM

has any one put a tpi fuel injected motor in a 1969-72
and was it hard to do also converting a 4 speed into a 5 speed manual shift?
any help would be great
ed  

waynep7122
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 12/20/10 11:27 PM

Icon Quotevitamanedg:
has any one put a tpi fuel injected motor in a 1969-72
and was it hard to do also converting a 4 speed into a 5 speed manual shift?
any help would be great
ed

its a far far better investment.. if your 69 to 72 is not a collector car..

to go straight to the LS motors...  there are several articles following along the conversions in the 2 corvette magazines right now...

you can easily build a carbed small block to make a lot more power than swapping in a TPI motor..   the TPI will get better mileage.. if you do it right..  but ... you can do a carbed.. LS motor.. with a stand alone ignition system and really make some serious power..

log in that you received this.. i will try to find some..  but click on the tech link above and left.. or type in C3 into the search window above right..  

TO TOP