Item Posts    Sort Order

Leaking Gas Tank

agolden274
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 05/24/08 01:42 PM

In the June issue of Corvette Fever, in C5/C6 Solutions, Twan Tran wrote about smelling gas in his Z06. CF responded that this problem is "neither unique or unusual". I have an 04 Coupe and had the same problem. I took it to the dealer and it cost me two days and $2,500.00. When I called GM about it, they called the dealer who said "it looked like road damage". So GM is covering up a problem and the dealer is in collusion. Anyone have any ideas about how to get GM to rectify the situation short of a class action lawsuit?  

mowmow
Posted: 06/26/08 05:16 PM

I have just experienced the problem.  I'm in the process of figuring out what or how to handle this problem.  

John.Doss
Posted: 11/16/08 09:07 AM

Anyone experienced with this, please advise.

My 1995 C4 Corvette (original owner) with 65K miles has just developed a gas leak. The smell of gasoline was noticed while driving. Later, it was hard to start. Upon inspection, gasoline was seen leaking from the right rear, from what appears to be a rubber "barrel" connector over a steel tube. Cant tell if its from the tank or from something else, fuel pump maybe? Actually two leaks, it is also dripping from somewhere above. About 20 ounces of fuel leaked out before the dripping finally stopped.

The hard start makes me suspect a post-fuel pump leak. Gas drains out of the line so it takes alot of cranking for the pump to re-feed. Once started it runs fine, smooth idle, responsive acceleration.

If there is a group action in the works, I'm in.  

CorvetteGirlC5
Posted: 02/14/09 06:50 PM

I have fuel leaking from just behind the driver's seat on my '04 Convertible.  This car has only 5,800 miles on it.  I bought this car used.  The original owner had the fuel level sensor replaced at 4,046 miles while it was still under warranty.  I have taken the car into my local dealer and then also to an independent that owns several Corvettes.  They both are telling me that the leak is at the top of the left gas tank which is where the fuel level sensor is located.  I just happen to have the comments on the GM Vehicle Inquiry System from when this was installed and it says (AS PER BULLETIN 05-06-04-041A REPLACED LEVEL SENSOR ALSO NECESSARY TO REPLACE PIPE NOT SEALING PLEASE CREDIT FOR EXCESS IN PARTS THANK YOU).  I have called GM Customer Service on this situation because my local dealership had quoted me around $2,200 to fix this.  I am supposed to find something out of Monday, February 16 of how this is going to be handled.  I don't feel I should be resposible for a dime of this cost since I feel another dealer did not fix the problem at the 4,046 mile mark.  I have smelled fuel for quite some time and when I went to start it up after not driving it since last September, it was completely empty.  I never drive a vehicle and leave it completely empty.  I hope that GM handles this situation because I feel that there are too many of us out there with this problem.  

CorvetteGirlC5
Posted: 02/18/09 02:50 PM

Does anyone know of a good attorney to SUE GM.  Right now in Washington they have sued for your tax dollars.  Faulty workmanship or parts and they don't want to take any of the blame.  This is a problem where it is their fault and they know but don't want to be responsible.  Anyone want to start a class action law suit with these people, I will be the first in line right behind you.
THE C5 FUEL TANK LEAKS ON THIS CAR AND THEY KNOW IT IS A PROBLEM
C5 FUEL TANK LEAKING, CALL ME AT (325) 481-3229, PLEASE CALL.  GENERAL MOTORS IS ON MY HOT LIST TODAY.  

giddyup01
Posted: 03/10/09 12:35 PM

Well I have just found out that I too need to have my gas tanks replaced due to a faulty connection on the tank behind the driver's seat.  I called GM and was told that to have any recourse I must have the problem inspected and documented by a Chevy dealer.  The service tech informed that me that getting any financial assistance or reimbursement from GM was highly  unlikely.  This stinks almost as much as my garage!  

raddicalbrad
Posted: 07/22/09 05:38 AM

I just noticed a gas smell in my garage and it looks like my 99 vette coupe is leaking gas from the passengers side. I am planning on taking it to the dealer next week and not happy that it may cost over 2 grand to fix. GREAT!  

waynep712
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 07/22/09 05:42 PM

do to the advent of strict emission controls.. many mechanics now have a gas tank pressure tester in their tool box..

looks like a radiator pressure tester... but with gas cap ends....

there are also a big pile of vapor controls stashed back there...

but as i recall...   most of the passages into and out of the fuel tank... pass through the sending unit flange...  

there is a fuel pressure line running forward...   a return line running back.. and a bunch of vapor lines running around... with a big block of solenoids.. pressure sensors, called the vapor control system...

i don't know how long the emission parts warrantee is.. but.. i wonder if the gas tank is covered...   i know the vapor sensors are.. but how long???

when repairs are done.. you have to approve the price before they start...    and you can request .. when the car is dropped off.. all the old parts back.. it has to be noted on the work order... in big letters...

i have seen instances... that gm payed for the work.. and the customer was also billed.. for the same work.. being told it was not under warrantee...   sort of a double dip into your wallet...

changing parts that are not needed under warrantee is probably why many dealers have lost their franchise..   i know one dealer.. that fired a bunch of older techs.. and rehired a bunch of untrained guys.. as the older guys knew how to test parts. and only change what was really broken...   the dealership makes a lot more money when they use the shot gun diagnoses..  just change everything...  the warrantee will cover it..  at full price...  

papou5088
Posted: 08/25/09 07:14 AM

Has anybody made any head way with GM on this ? Gas leak behind the drivers seat.  

2004c5blackcoupe
Posted: 08/15/10 02:14 AM

GM Investigation Report/ Inter-office memos:

http://nhthqnwws112.odi.nhtsa.dot.go...015-40764P.pdf

Large file, see pages 96,123,149,158,166
**************************************** **************************************** *********
THE SMOKING GUN page 96:
**************************************** **************************************** *********

"On September 30, 2003 PolyOne Corporation mis-processed a 3,000 pound batch of the crossover quick connect material which significantly degraded the molecular weight of the glass filled olefin material and ultimately the fracture toughness of the quick connect"

"The mis-processing of the material at PolyOne was due to poor quality processes."

"PolyOne also knowingly reported incorrect pellet size on the material certs."

"TI Automotive- Meriden first discovered the issue when they had difficulty welding the component to the fuel tank. This was after most of the suspect components had been used."

"TI suspects that components that should have been scrapped, were re-introduced into production on at least two other occassions."

Write NHTSA for immediate recall, with fuel leak as a major safety concern.

File safety complaint with NHTSA ODI citing above info at:
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm  

CorvetteGirlC5
Posted: 09/07/10 06:58 PM

Cool  Cool NOTICE, NOTICE......Hey, everyone, I just got a letter in from Chevrolet dated August 2010.  They have finally taken my side on the issue of the leaking gas tank a year and a half later.  It cost me over $2,000 to fix it Mad  and so I think I will have gas money now.  Blush  Woo-hhooo. They have sent a form to fill out for the refund and  they say that the leak is at the quick connectors that are used to link the left and the right fuel tanks which is just what my invoice says that I paid for.  Smile  Don't let these guys jip you out of a full tank of gas like I lost during this whole ordeal.  Shocked  The people that I talked to about my situation with Chevrolet sure did a bang up job of telling me that it was just my problem.  What a deal that I went through with them.  Smirk  Hope everyone starts smelling leather instead of gasoline.  Marcella (325) 212-3292 CorvetteGirlC5@aol.com Grin  

CorvetteGirlC5
Posted: 09/07/10 07:13 PM

Please read above or below wherever the post landed about my results of the leaking gas tank!!!!!   You should be able to get a refund.

CorvetteGirlC5@aol.com Grin  

kirks57
Posted: 01/17/12 11:18 AM

GLAD TO SEE THAT GM HAS COME THROUGH,AM TAKING MY C-5 IN TO GET THE GAS LEAK FIXED. HOPE TO HAVE SAME LUCK WITH GM WHEN I SEND THEM THE BILL. THANKS KIRKS57  

pepsi1
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 01/27/12 12:36 AM

You know the dealship tried to cover up. GM probably went and investigated it saying big time law suit. REMEMBER the famous Ford Pinto. For the guys that weren't around then.

Ford's Pintos of the 1970's if hit in the rear some exploded. Ford claimed it wasn't a design fault. The two rear bolts that held the gas tank in position would puncture the gas tank and exploded.

Ford put plastic caps on the bolt heads and tested them. Because there was no spark from the bolts puncturing the tank it proved it wasn't a design fault.... Tell that to all the people that lost their families. Grin  Cool
Thanks
Bob  

TO TOP