Ad Radar
Item Posts    Sort Order

brake squeal on 2006

cgj_fl
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 09/17/07 04:30 PM

Hi everyone.  I am having a problem with brake squeal when gently applying the brakes.  There is a definite squeal after a few stops.  It does not matter whether the temperature is hot, cool, dry, wet, humid or not.  I have taken it to the dealer, actually to 3 different dealers and they say that it is not a problem and don't seem to care about fixing it.  The last time they had it for a full day and then told me that they did not do anything.

I talked with a GM rep and they said that they would not fix the problem and that I could replace the brakes with parts for a 2007.  Seems like that they would fix the problem, which has been present as long as I have had it, took it off the showroom floor with 4 miles on it.

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.  At this time, this is my second and last corvette and chevrolet product.  I reside in the Tampa area.

Thanks,

Cecil  

T2nick
Posted: 09/24/07 01:39 PM

Some disc brake pads do have that break squeal (If not worn) especially the high metallic content pads. Inspect the pads make sure they don't have any debris trapped/imbedded on the pads and also check your discs and make sure there is no gouging (circular pattern). Remove debris if you find it. If not, you can try and buy some of that brake squeal spray but it's not guaranteed. Or, replace your pads to the type that has less metallic content but it may affect your braking efficiency. Check with some good aftermarket brake vendors. ie..Hawk, EBC brakes, Stoptech and tell them your problem and they'll help you...  

cgj_fl
Posted: 10/18/07 07:28 PM

Thanks for the info.  I have taken it to several Chevrolet dealers and they say there are no problems with the brake system and no debris.  I tried some of the lube on the pads, that lasted a couple of days.  I will probably try the pads and if they work I should be able to sell it.  Thanks again.  

tom_slick
Posted: 03/17/08 07:18 PM

I picked up off Ebay some zinc plated drilled and slotted rotors... Had a local shop(Corvette Mikes) install along with a new set of ceramic pads... Not only do they look cool(plus no rust when wet), they are very quiet!  

orange09ragtop
Posted: 01/10/10 10:12 PM

Icon Quotecgj_fl:
Hi everyone.  I am having a problem with brake squeal when gently applying the brakes.  There is a definite squeal after a few stops.  It does not matter whether the temperature is hot, cool, dry, wet, humid or not.  I have taken it to the dealer, actually to 3 different dealers and they say that it is not a problem and don't seem to care about fixing it.  The last time they had it for a full day and then told me that they did not do anything.

I talked with a GM rep and they said that they would not fix the problem and that I could replace the brakes with parts for a 2007.  Seems like that they would fix the problem, which has been present as long as I have had it, took it off the showroom floor with 4 miles on it.

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.  At this time, this is my second and last corvette and chevrolet product.  I reside in the Tampa area.

Thanks,

Cecil

I bought my '09 Z51 convertible last summer. In the new owners video this IS addressed. It also states how to deal with it AND that it does not affect your brakes or saftey. It comes along with having/owning a car packed with performance features, such as brakes. This is a normal attribute with a car having performance brakes (serving as a daily driver). Get on a flat surface (such as a large parking lot). Accelerate to 30-40 quickly then hit the brakes .....hard...to remove any moisture from humidity. This might help. If it continues, try replacing the pads....(if it bothers you). Mine has not strated doing this yet, but I do understand from the new owners video that it may very well do so. I will do (the braking) the above for my Vette, and if it continues, I will not allow this to bother me. I choose to own my Vette after waiting a very long time to have one. I accept these things because other cars that match-up to Vette do the same thing and I believe it comes with it, especially since Chevy/Corvette took the time to address these concerns in the new owner video (they told me up front)....Addiitionally, was the car/brakes "broke-in" as it reccomends/suggests in owners manuel/video?  Cool  

dcboyle
Posted: 07/21/10 03:32 PM

I too have an issue with this 0n my 2005 corvette,took it to the dealer I bought car from they to said it was a normal issue with these cars,they had it for 2 days put 15 miles on it and burned a qtr tank of fuel and it still does it? car currently has 13,000 miles on it?  

TO TOP