Ad Radar
Item Posts    Sort Order

Tire Pressure monitors

wkessinger
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 09/25/07 06:35 AM

Hi, I am new to the corvette world as I just bought my first Vette at age 64.  (wife would not let me have one when I was 35)  Anyway, its a nice 1999 convertible with only 37000 miles.  The question I have and can't find out is about the TPM units on the wheels.  I get a message to service the TPM's.  I took it to the Chevy dealer and he said he can't find any indication of any sensors on any wheels.  They want $160 per wheel plus labor charges to replace the sensor (new).  

Does the 1999 have batteries in the sensors?  I don't trust any after market tire places to (example, Discount Tires ) work on my wheels.  At this point I just want the sensors to talk to the reciever unit and give me the warm and fuzzy while driving that I have proper tire presure.

Any help please.  

Johnjr
Posted: 02/12/08 02:36 PM

I had that sort of problem with my 96...  I got rid of the run flat tires and now I get the same warning lite. When they mounted the new tires one of the sensors inside the tire, strapped to the rim came loose I examined the sensor and saw no battery.  

sailordan
Posted: 03/24/08 09:55 PM

By chance, I am having the same problem with my tire pressure monitoring system on my 1999 Coupe. I am also having a problem with my remote locks. I am wondering if there is any possibility, however remote, the two systems may be connected, possibly by the same fuse? The local service center here in Hawaii wants to charge me $2200.00 to replace the remote lock receiver and all four tire sensors. I think they may be trying to pull a fast one on me. This is the third Corvette I've owned, but it is the only C5. I just don't know enough about the computer systems on Vettes to even diagnose these problems, let alone fix them. Any help would be appreciated. Sailordan2@hawaii.rr.com  

Dan404
Posted: 04/16/08 06:14 PM

This has been a problem from 97 - 01. The problem is the tires. If the steel belts of the tires extend into the sidewall the sensors wont work. I don't know why that is but that's the problem. It's most likely the metal in the tires disrupting the signal from the sensors. And no the door locks are not a related problem. That is a problem with the lock cylinder.  

Vegabond
Posted: 06/09/08 06:34 AM

I know this is an old thread, but it still may help someone! I was looking at the TPS and saw the same issue with price.  I then stumbled on this auction on ebay:  http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&viewitem=&item=200208877559

From SMCPerformance.  They sell a complete set of sensors (4), two (2) new key fobs and the new reciever for about $200.00.  If they are still available they are a direct replacement for the early C5's (mine is a 97).  The location in a lot of places, (manual & internet) say the reciever is mounted in the "B" pillar behind the drivers head, but mine was in the rear cargo area over the rear wheel, just needed to pull the panel out to have access and plug in the new unit to replace the old one.  The only other drawback is that you will loose you "passive" lock function. I believe these were originally made for export but work fine here!  

THOMASZICH
Posted: 06/26/09 05:41 PM

TPM tire pressure monitoring is a four sensor rf  transmiitting system.  each tire has a sensor with a battery and transmits a unique digital signal to a receiver that then displays it on your dash. here's the deal= the batteries die after about 7-10 years. can be replaced but you got to cut dig and jump the wires in the sensor tough to do- After the pressure sensor chip in the unit may be bad also- not worth doing- buy a replacement one from tire rack $69.00 each- get on e-bay-  pull tire off wheel and replace- then using a large magnet you need to train the all four sensors to the receiver -easy to do.special proceedure but really simple- but get the sensors first =pain to get the tires off.I just did mine - very easy. have fun tom  

bradeb
Posted: 07/29/09 05:44 PM

I have a 99 C5 and am replacing the 2 front tires due to being worn out.  Do the TPMs need to replaced also or just reset?  How hard will it be to reset the TPM on these 2 wheels?  Are there specific instructions I should follow?  

salsvette
Posted: 12/30/09 05:23 PM

Hi - I don't know how to post a question since I am a new member and I also have a tpms problem on my 99 corvette. The drivers side rear wheel will not register the tire pressure. I tried reversing the two rear wheels and drove the car over 20 mph just to see if the wheel sensor was the problem
Still showed no reading on the left side even with the tire mounted on the right. How do I reprogram the sensors and is this a sensor problem? Thanks  

powderman
Posted: 05/18/10 06:35 PM

I need to powdercoat 4- "96" Corvette wheels. Can someone walk me through the procedure for removing/reinstalling and recalibrating them, or direct me to a link that explains it. I know differant years had differant monitors and some were reuseable and others not.  

TO TOP