Item Posts    Sort Order

IFS from Jim Meyer Racing?

47fleetline
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 08/13/07 01:30 PM

I'm thinking of buying a Jim Meyer Racing bolt-in IFS to my C1. Anyone out there that has any experience with this IFS? Does it fit without modifications? Any issues with bump steer or Ackerman? I would appreciate any information that is available.  

JayWard
Posted: 12/30/07 06:34 PM

Hi,  Maybe I can help.  On ebay right now 12-30-07 there is a guy selling a stock front end for a 60 corvette and just installed a Jim Meyer.  He would be the perfect guy to talk to.  It's at $200 with no bids and the auction ends in less than 2 days.  Hope he can answer all your questions.  If you get a minute let me know how it goes because I am interested as well. You can email me at jkw010@charter.net Thanks Jay  

quiker
Posted: 01/02/08 07:36 AM

I have a question for you. I have a 1954 just wondering if you have taken your present steering system apart I have started to but the sector shaft seems to be stuck and I was wondering how the tube comes out of the box I didn"t want to damage it. I was also thinking the Ifs might be the way to go for driveability. The steering in my car at the moment has some issues. Thanks Jerry  

1958Vette
Posted: 08/09/10 10:28 PM

I installed a Jim Meyer IFS in my 58 Vette and found the installation to be pretty easy. I had to trim a part of the frame to get clearance for a few bolts but it was no biggie. You don't need the Power Steering option, and it would make the install a bit easier. I have no clearance problems with stock wheels and tires or with the Rally Wheels and Radial tires. What is bump steer or Ackerman ?
Joe V.  

waynep7122
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 08/10/10 04:32 AM

i take it that you are joking ...  as your new front suspension should be be great.. and mostly without needing to worry about those..

if you really want to read up on bump steer or ackerman...

you will need to look at some articles in the circle track magazines on this site... they explain it well...

there are some articles on this link

http://www.circletrack.com/chassistech/index.html  

1958Vette
Posted: 08/13/10 10:28 PM

Let me start by saying I never joke about the feed back I give on any thing. The Jim Meyer set-up is working just fine thank you.  If I had taken another route and built my IFS from scratch I would definately been concerned about the bump steering. However buying a unit from a respected dealer ( and one whom I had researched ) put my mind at ease.
P.S. I do not work for, or am I related to, Jim Myers  

19VETTE60
Posted: 03/23/11 06:04 PM

My father installed a Jim Myer front suspension in his '60 with the non-power assist steering. He installed the complete package with some minor fit and finish machining in his own garage. He had a problem with a couple brackets not fitting but the Myer crew was super helpful and cooperative with assisting dad correct the problem. The parts are top quality and fully finished. I now have the car and, having driven the car before and after installation, there is a considerable improvement in looks and handling. Additionally the power disk brakes make the car stop on a dime. This is a no brainer for modernizing a tired '60 front suspension.  

TO TOP