12 Last
Item Posts    Sort Order

ticking noise in engine

trc99
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 06/23/07 06:19 AM

I have a 99 convertible with 63,000 miles.  Has good oil pressure and uses no oil. I have a ticking noise in the engine. It is more of a flat, tapping noise when I first start it and then after a few minutes becomes a ticking noise like a sticking lifter. Had several shops look at it. they have said it could be a lifter, but no one will say for sure and will not guarantee if they replace the lifters that it will fix the problem. One ex-GMC mechanic said he had seen it once before and that it is a bad spot on my cam. 2 questions: anybody else with a C5 having this problem and anybody know of a GOOD Corvette Shop in the West KY or West TN area i.e. Nashville, Memphis, Paducah etc?  

belfiglioval
Posted: 07/21/07 07:59 PM

hi trc99, ok i have a 1994 LT-1, but the problem you are talking about has happened to me with another car with a chevy 350, when i disasembled the top end i found worn lifters and a flat spot on the cam, its somwhat odd that you are having this problem with only 63.000 miles but ive seen stranger things happen.  take care.     val.  

montage
Posted: 12/04/07 09:05 PM

i have an older 350 with the exact same problem.. ive been changing everything tryin to figure out what the noise is.. if you do figure it out please let me know cause its driving me nuts  

DLB-C5
Posted: 04/26/08 03:06 PM

My '02 C5 w/70,000 miles does the same when cold.  I have seen several articles stating this is normal on the C5s.  

rgtaylor
Posted: 05/03/08 09:31 AM

There is no way to know for sure unless you open it up and look...

Just because it is "common" on the C5 doesn't make it right so be careful about what is found on the internet.  I have many years experience with GM 350s of all sorts and I have seen this on a few engines. belfiglioval (not even going ask where that name comes from) is right, the most common cause that I have seen is a flat spot on the cam...  this flat spot actually creates a surface area that "slaps" as it comes around rather than sliding past as it should...  akin to slapping a red headed step child on the face... no offense intended to anyone...  I made an engine stethoscope using a old solid car antenna and an old doctors stethoscope years ago to help me listen inside the engine while it was running...  with this you can find pretty much exactly which one is slapping...  the oil pressure coming up and spreading lube is why the sound changes once the oil gets flowing on everything...  I can also be a worn or stuck lifter...  hydraulic lifter will often make this tapping sound too with little to no reason and no way to silence them...

So, like I said, there is no way to know unless you tear it open...  do you notice any performance issue: Acceleration lag, rough idle or etc.?  Do you have any signs of metal in the oil?

Sometimes our minds key on a sound we didn't notice before and it seems to be louder than it really is...  how loud is it?  Can other people find it/notice it without you telling them exactly what they are looking for?

NO, I am not saying it is all in your mind... ;-)  just that it might not be anything to worry about either...  You may just want to wait until you decide to make some changes to look into it..  

vetted01man
Posted: 09/23/11 10:15 PM

I was wondering what articles Confused  

VETTEONE
Posted: 03/24/12 03:41 PM

I HAVE A MINT C-5 LS1 WITH 22,000 ON IT, IT MAKES A PERIODIC TIC TIC TIC NOISE ALSO, IT COMES AND IT GOES, SOMETIMES ITS QUIET AS A MOUSE, OTHER TIMES IT SOUNDS LIKE AN OLDER THREE FIFTY THAT NEEDS THE ROCKERS TWEEKED,I DONT KNOW IF ITS NORM OR WHAT? BUT I DONT LIKE IT! WHEN IT DOES TIC TIC TIC ITS *** EMBARASSING! ITS DONE IT SINCE I BOUGHT IT WITH 10,000 ON IT, AND ITS NEVER BEEN BEAT! DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THIS IS THE NORM FOR THESE ENGINES? AND IF SO HOW CAN I SHUT THE *** THING UP?! THANKS
                                       TOM (VETTEONE)  

pepsi1
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 03/25/12 12:39 AM

If an ex GM mechanic told you hes only seen this once stay away from him.Its a common problem these days. Thanks to our government forcing the oil companies to remove the Zinc out of engine oils. ZDDP is the property that is the high pressure additive that is now only in Diesel oil 15/40..

It sounds like the cam maybe starting to go away, or a valve lifter has stopped rotating causing the premature wear. There is no really good way to find out what it is unless you pull the intake.
Bob  

pepsi1
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 03/25/12 12:41 AM

vetteone

You maybe hearing the fuel injectors ticking.  Grin  Cool

Bob  

pepsi1
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 03/25/12 12:43 AM

Dlb-C5 I think your refering to the fuel injectors pulsing their little hearts out.

Bob  

pepsi1
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 03/25/12 12:53 AM

My brother's 2002 ZO6 has the same ticking sound and fuel pump sounds. These are performance cars guys the tollerances are different for them believe me. I have set my brother's car to run at Daytona in the club he is in. I ran that bad boy full stock to 178MPH. My brothers still not talking to me, he was in the passengers seat....LOL....I didn't do anymore to it then the video told us to do. It was on a radar gun twice the first lap the car just wanted to run. I was a stock car driver back in the day of Busch The second lap faster no third lap my brother wanted out...LOL...I don't blame him I don't like someone driving 60MPH let alone 178MPH and I'm in the passengers seat...
They handle well at speed....

Bob  

pepsi1
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 03/25/12 01:06 AM

What flattens is the high pressure on the high lift side of the cam at full lift. What causes the cams to wear is a lack of the ZDDP. That was the protector of the flat tappet cams. I've been building these small blocks for 40 years. The valve spring pressure is beyond your wildest imagination. The lifter stops spinning and in micro seconds your cam is history...... Confused

On a full blown out small block race engine with a roller cam we are seeing as much as 250,000PSI on the nose of the cam. What you can try is deisel oil get rid of the synthetic crap and go back to mineral based oils. See if it helps. When my brother bought his Z06 I had him dump the sythetic crap. I wouldn't use the crap to lube the wheels on my grand sons wagon let alone put it in a high dollar race engine..... Grin  Cool

GM can tell you and sell you on that crap. You don't need synthetic oil with a roller cam engine. What's GM getting for an oil change these days $100.00.
These are only my findings as we run mules on dynos and force fail parts to see what goes on internally. We don't just blow them up we evaluate what we do. I always set hydraulic cams at zero lash. The cam manufacturers are making better cams then they ever did. (Unless the *** crap pops in). I sell race engines that drivers could give a *** about. They don't care when they over rev them and window a $26,000 engine. The guy that worries about it is the guy thats paying the bills. Go out spin those small blocks make em whine whine whine...Thanks Confused

Bob  

gymshoes
Posted: 04/12/12 07:32 PM

http://gsi.xw.gm.com/newsi/showDoc.do?docSyskey=1206539&from=sm
there is a bulletin on this problem, its the o ring between the oil pump pickup tube and oil pump, causing the oil to aerate, making the lifters noisy at lower rpms under 1800 to 900, im replacing mine tomorrow on my 03 Z06 sounds like garbage lol  

87corvette
Posted: 04/19/12 10:09 PM

Do the lifters in his engine spin?  I thought they had roller lifters.  

pepsi1
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 04/19/12 11:46 PM

Icon Quote87corvette:
Do the lifters in his engine spin?  I thought they had roller lifters.

Roller Lifters will not spin...They have a roller they rides on the axis of the cam

Solid and Hydraulic lifters will spin if they are working properly...If they are not spinning either the cam and/or lifters went FUBAR,, Grin  Cool
Bob  

12 Last
TO TOP