12 Last
Item Posts    Sort Order

1972 Nova Dash electrical problem

verlsmail
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 04/03/14 09:44 AM

In my 1972 Nova the windshield wiper switch came loose because a plastic screw mount broke off.  So, I took out the switch and remounted it by using larger screws but it had to be mounted upside down in order to use an unused screw mount for a more secure mount. It seemed to work fine upside down.  (There seems to be no ground point on the plastic dash mounts.)  

Everything seemed to be working OK but then suddenly some how the dash lights are all messed up, including the turn signal indicators dome light and windshield wipers.  The head lights, parking lights, turn signals, brake lights all work fine.  But, the dash "stuff" has gone crazy.

I did turn the light switch slightly to get the wires out of the way while I remounted the windshield wiper switch.

Things are really screwy now.  The windshield wipers will not work unless the dome light is on with the drivers door open.  The dash lights come on sometimes when I turn the headlight switch knob but the turn signal indicator lights are both on.  What is really strange is that the turn signal indicator lights are always on and do blink when I use the turn signals.  

Also, things seem to change.  This "system" of lights does not always do the same thing.  It's crazy.

When I twist the light switch knob things do not react like they should.  The dash lights do not fade or get brighter.  The windshield wipers will only work with the light knob turned all the way to the left in the position where the dome light is supposed to come on and the wipers will only work if the door is open and the dome light switch is activated.

What the heck did I do by fixing that windshield wiper switch and turning the light switch slightly?

Do I need a new headlight switch?  

wayne712222
My first time was in a Chevy
Posted: 04/03/14 11:39 AM

you have disconnected the ground connection to the dash board...

edit.. 68 to 72 nova cluster..

68 72Novacluster Zps1038a8ac  

verlsmail
Posted: 04/03/14 02:18 PM

wayne712222:

OK.  Thank you very much.  It is back under the dashboard I go.  

wayne712222
Posted: 04/03/14 02:34 PM

take some pictures if you can.. upload them to photobucket... paste links here..

i can identify the circuits if i can see them..  

verlsmail
Posted: 04/03/14 02:49 PM

OK.  I will do this (take photos) later this afternoon if I can get to it again today.  Thanks.  

verlsmail
Posted: 04/03/14 02:49 PM

OK.  I will do this (take photos) later this afternoon if I can get to it again today.  Thanks.  

verlsmail
Posted: 04/03/14 06:29 PM

Well, I tried to take some photos of the wiring and electrical panel but there is just not enough room up under that cramped dash to get good photos.  I even tried the camera's macro mode and that did not work.  So, it is now back under the dash to find a loose ground.   It may be possible that I disconnected the ground on the light switch when I turned it.  That's the first place I will check, that is if there is such a ground wire on that switch.  

wayne712222
Posted: 04/03/14 06:35 PM

ok... i am in.. i will dig out some info.. see if i can find. it..

back soon...  

wayne712222
Posted: 04/03/14 07:41 PM

68 to 72 nova cluster rear side..

the ground is a individual black wire... you can see the green arrow..

68 72Novacluster Zps1038a8ac  

verlsmail
Posted: 04/04/14 03:46 PM

To  wayne712222 :

Wow!  Thanks for the photo of the back of the instrument panel.  Where do you get these?

Anyway, just about an hour ago I decided to get back under the dash to see if I could find a loose ground wire.  I could find none loose.  So, I decided to twist the headlight switch again thinking that I may have disturbed something there.  But, guess what?  In pulling my hand out I broke loose a ground wire and it broke very easily.  Turns out that the wire was broken inside of the insulation and it was not detectable by eye.  But, now it was.  It was completely broken.  So, I lengthened the ground wire, soldered on a new terminal end, bolted it to the grounding place and wha la!  everything is back to normal (so far).   Just that one little wire made all that difference.

Wayne, thanks for your help and I am going to copy that photo of the back of the instrument panel for my records.  

verlsmail
Posted: 04/04/14 03:48 PM

An Wayne, it is a black wire just as your photo says.  

wayne712222
Posted: 04/04/14 04:44 PM

i take the image... and look at the wiring diagrams and printed circuit diagrams and add all the mark ups myself.. that one took me about 40 minutes to find . edit and post.. but i had to grab some time..

glad i was able to help... that image will probably help a lot of other people also..  

mikecrossan
Posted: 05/04/14 04:51 AM

Would the dash ground affect my radio I remove the gauge cluster on my 74 nova after replacing it my radio is static  

mikecrossan

Would the dash ground affect my radio I remove the gauge cluster on my 74 nova after replacing it my radio is static  

mikecrossan

12 Last
TO TOP