Ad Radar
Item Posts    Sort Order

Small Block Chevy Question!

jlafleur94
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 03/01/14 09:41 AM

im 98% sure i have a sbc 350. i tore it down yesterday to bare block to get it ready for a .030 over bore and just generally build it. it IS a 4 bolt main. with that being said here's the question...i know this is the most generic number but ive got a Casting # of 3970010. doesnt help much since it could be a 302 327 or 350. when looking for the specific code front of engine passenger side it looks like the blocks been decked before i cleaned up everything to try and find the suffix so i could get year etc... now is there ANY other ways i can find out specific year so i can buy my rebuild kit and everything for it.  Confused thanks a lot guys  

wayne712222
My first time was in a Chevy
Posted: 03/01/14 12:32 PM

010 blocks were cast from 68 to 79...

on the back of the block there will be a julian date.. (/)B142(\)  

B would be the second month.. feb

14 would be the 14th day of the month

2 would be the year of the decade..   62, 72, 82, 92,   since the blocks were only cast from 68 to 79..  it would have been cast in 1972..

what parts you order.. does not depend on the year of the production but on the components you are going to install..

crank.. rods, pistons.. rings.. gaskets.. heads.. cam.. lifters.. timing cover..

its all conventional. or custom..

the only thing that would need to be carefully selected in the engine oil pan.. and gasket.. other than that.. its GEN 1 small block gaskets..

there was a dipstick location change in the late70s

lastly.. that engine will be drilled an tapped for 3/8-16 starter mounting .. so you will need a 3510 starter.. NOT A 3510M.. please be sure that you use starter mounting bolts with 3 or 6 stripes on the head.. not numbers like 10.9 or 12.9..  those are for 82 and up blocks..  they will split the corner off your block and ruin your entire week..

PS... if you really must know..

you might be able to view some of the machined off stamping numbers using the magnaflux set at the machine shop..  because of the distortion of the metal. it might faintly show up..  

joe-
My first time was in a Chevy
Posted: 03/01/14 05:02 PM

well, 302, 327 and 350's all use the same 4.000" bore.  so it's a 4" bore block.  what you really want to check is the crank.   you can rotate the engine til a piston is at BDC then measure up to the deck.
3.000" - 302
3.25" - 327
3.48" - 350
pretty simple.  you can use a tape measure.

or, you can look the crank numbers up here;
http://www.chevymania.com/

hope it helps.  
joe-

jlafleur94
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 03/01/14 08:59 PM

It had come out of an 85 truck is what I'm told but I did not know because when I bought it it was just on a hoist. I don't really care what the year is just wanted to make sure it was a 350 I did check the crank numbers and head casting numbers and they all matched up with 350 sbc. Only paid 175 dollars for it so I think I got a good core for a rebuild. Does have some rust look in the cooling jackets but a good thermal oven and a hot tank should take care of that. Thank god I can do all of the machining myself at college! Thanks guys  

TO TOP