Ad Radar
12 Last
Item Posts    Sort Order

1967 El Camino restoration

xFourLeaf
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 09/27/13 10:21 PM

At the beginning of last week I picked up this el camino! It's a 283, powerglide car, all numbers matching. Also came with the Malibu trim option and whatever else that adds. Car had minimal rust. I'm going to restore it pretty much back to stock, only thing changing is the interior and color. Really excited to get this thing finished! Hoping to have it on the road in the next three weeks. That includes being painted and interior completed. I also forgot to mention I am going to shave the trim around the bed Cool I know I'm gonna get some hate for that but ohh well. Tongue

Here's how she started
Image Zpsd8d81d9e

Image Zps583624ab

Image Zps24b12d21

Pulled the front fenders and gave the engine some lovin. Today I got the car almost 100% sanded down.

Image Zps2dd6bca2

Image Zps1e2d378e

Image Zps3a22f6d6

Only question I have about the car so far is this. It has power pack heads which I believe means it's the 220hp 283. But those came with a 4bbl carb and this is a 2bbl Rochester and indicates it's the 195 hp 283. The car also has dual exhausts that appear factory which the 220 hp 283 came with. So I'm a little stumped on that one... Grin anyone care to clear this up?

You can identify the powerpacks by the square with a triangle on top marking on the front of the head.

Image Zps31539376  
xFourLeafxFourLeaf

xFourLeaf
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 09/27/13 11:19 PM

Ok so after doing some research I learned that chevy actually put a 2bbl 327 that made 210hp in the 1967 el camino after 4/6/67 correct?
When I bought the car the guy that sold it to me said he didn't know if it was a 283 or 327. We both assumed it was a 283 since it had a Rochester 2bbl on it. Now I'm lost lol! I'll get up some casting number and all that good stuff tomorrow. Only way to know for sure is to pull off a head and measure the bore I guess Smile  
xFourLeafxFourLeaf

idrivejunk
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 09/28/13 06:54 AM

I can't identify your engine from the info given or pics. Enjoy the project and post progress pics as you go. Its always informative to know what products and techniques are being used successfully by others. How does it look underneath?  
idrivejunk

tuffnuff
Posted: 09/28/13 07:11 AM

You can ID a 327 by pulling the dust cover from the bell housing.
The 327 will have a notch in the crank flange, like a pie with one slice missing,
A 283 flange is round and no notch. A 283 also has a small damper (about 4"/5" in diameter and about 5/8" thick.
A 327 damper is about 1 1/4" thick and about 7" in diameter.

Smile  
When The Flag Drops.,.

tuffnuff

The Bull ***t Stops.,.
tuffnuff

P. Engineer, Engine Builder

Dave632
Posted: 09/28/13 07:55 AM

Good luck with your project!  
[[SUPPORT AMERICAN CARS, STOMP A RICE CAR TODAY.]]

pepsi1
Posted: 09/28/13 11:46 AM

Its your ride, its American Built don't worry
about what other people have to say. Good Luck
and when your done send some pictures.

Bob
NO RICE BURNERS ALOWED!!! Grin  

xFourLeaf
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 09/28/13 01:05 PM

Icon Quoteidrivejunk:
I can't identify your engine from the info given or pics. Enjoy the project and post progress pics as you go. Its always informative to know what products and techniques are being used successfully by others. How does it look underneath?

Underneath is good. Other than some expected surface rust it's good. Also the exhaust was eaten through in one spot. Welded it back up today.  
xFourLeafxFourLeaf

xFourLeaf
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 09/28/13 01:07 PM

Icon Quotetuffnuff:
You can ID a 327 by pulling the dust cover from the bell housing.
The 327 will have a notch in the crank flange, like a pie with one slice missing,
A 283 flange is round and no notch. A 283 also has a small damper (about 4"/5" in diameter and about 5/8" thick.
A 327 damper is about 1 1/4" thick and about 7" in diameter.

Smile

Thanks, probably going to be the only sure way to tell is  what you have said. I'm just contemplating if it's worth it to tear everything off the motor I just painted and put back on yesterday. Frown  
xFourLeafxFourLeaf

xFourLeaf
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 09/28/13 01:15 PM

Here is the body plate. Correct me if I'm wrong but 12b means the car was made the second week of December?

VIN: 136807Z117483
Also I've read that 36 means custom v8 and 34 is just a v8. What's the difference? Also thanks everyone for the positive feed back! I'll keep the pics coming!

Image Zps041329b8  
xFourLeafxFourLeaf

pepsi1
Posted: 09/28/13 04:49 PM

I have exhausted all the information I have. But hang in there
something will pop up. I contacted my GURU friend in NJ. Maybe
he'll come up with something to at least give you some information.

Bob

NO RICE BURNERS ALLOWED!  

pepsi1
Posted: 09/28/13 05:26 PM

xFourLeaf:
When I did my research the El Camino just didn't fall by the way-side...

Here's what I found. Your Vin Number 13 digits (136807Z117483)
Some things you already know, but here goes.

Generation #2

Manufacturer: Chevrolet

Model Series: Custom El-Camino V-8

Body Style: 2 Door Sedan Pick-Up

Model Year: 1967

Assembly Plant Code: Fremont California

Sequence Production Number: 117483

I hope this answers your questions....

Bob

NO RICE BURNERS ALLOWED!  

xFourLeaf
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 09/28/13 06:32 PM

Icon Quotepepsi1:
xFourLeaf:
When I did my research the El Camino just didn't fall by the way-side...

Here's what I found. Your Vin Number 13 digits (136807Z117483)
Some things you already know, but here goes.

Generation #2

Manufacturer: Chevrolet

Model Series: Custom El-Camino V-8

Body Style: 2 Door Sedan Pick-Up

Model Year: 1967

Assembly Plant Code: Fremont California

Sequence Production Number: 117483

I hope this answers your questions....

Bob

NO RICE BURNERS ALLOWED!

Awesome! Thanks for the info! It's a california car so I guess it's at home with me Smile really appreciate the help!  
xFourLeafxFourLeaf

pepsi1
Posted: 09/29/13 09:04 AM

xFourLeaf:

Your welcome. My last laptop died at an early age. I had a lot of information on it. It so happened the guy that's had it for 4 months was able to down-load the information from my hard drive. It had the web-site I use to find such information. The info is 99.999% correct. My old GURU buddy in New Jersey was even lost with the Plate I.D.
  One thing I noticed in one of the  pictures, on the exhaust manifolds are the pipes for the thermactor pump set-up. It was use for early emissions. I don't know if you are installing headers. If not you can remove those pipes, and install pipe plugs in those holes. I've done it just use a lot of heat on the fitting that connects to the exhaust header.
  If I remember correctly those tubes go into the exhaust header a few inches.

Bob  

xFourLeaf
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 09/29/13 10:58 AM

Icon Quotepepsi1:
xFourLeaf:

Your welcome. My last laptop died at an early age. I had a lot of information on it. It so happened the guy that's had it for 4 months was able to down-load the information from my hard drive. It had the web-site I use to find such information. The info is 99.999% correct. My old GURU buddy in New Jersey was even lost with the Plate I.D.
  One thing I noticed in one of the  pictures, on the exhaust manifolds are the pipes for the thermactor pump set-up. It was use for early emissions. I don't know if you are installing headers. If not you can remove those pipes, and install pipe plugs in those holes. I've done it just use a lot of heat on the fitting that connects to the exhaust header.
  If I remember correctly those tubes go into the exhaust header a few inches.

Bob

That's a bummer about your laptop. I tried to unscrew the pipes on the exhaust manifold a few days ago and the nut around the pipe felt like it wanted to crumble apart. I will have to try again with some heat. I'm sure headers will be going on the car along with a four barrel and intake in a couple months when I get bored Grin  
xFourLeafxFourLeaf

pepsi1
Posted: 10/01/13 01:08 AM

xFourleaf

You need to get those fittings cherry red. Then let them cool down a couple times, with this heat and cool cycle that's what makes the rust dissipate that you can't see.
  I believe they are a 7/16 pipe plug. Heat is a wonderful thing when you use it correctly, Ha-Ha-Ha. You need OXY-acetelyne  to get the heat you need to remove them. Direct the heat on the fitting, not the exhaust pipe. Using knocker loose or another penetrating oil won't get it. The way you have them is the best way to get a line wrench on them. If you round them off use vise grips. Be patient and you'll get it.
  Just a little FYI. Don't take the exhaust pipes off the engine. Here is why. The exhaust pipes will actually shrink. You will need a special spreader tool to get them back on the head. If you've ever had to do an exhaust pipe and then install it back on a new head if you don't have the special spreader you invent curse words believe me.... Grin  Cool

Bob

"NO RICE BURNERS ALLOWED"  

12 Last
TO TOP