Item Posts    Sort Order

Clutch slipping

wayne712222
My first time was in a Chevy
Posted: 11/27/13 01:13 AM

yes.. the transmission i do believe has to come out on that one.. as the S/c is mounted around the input shaft..

clutches are a mystery to a lot of techs i hate to say..

if the clutch does NOT release fully.. and you are not  loosing fluid..

look at the clutch pedal pivot bushing or the connecting hole for the clutch mater push rod.. either can wear and change the amount of push the pedal movement inputs into the clutch master..

on early 90s jeep wranglers..  the clutch master was made of aluminum.. the angle of the push rod attached to the pedal was at such an angle.. that it shoved upward on the piston.. the steel piston actually ate away the bore where the seals would ride..  so the clutch master did not displace enough fluid to create an equal amount of fluid in the C/S..  so there is not enough movement..

toyotas and a few other cars have stepped flywheels.. where the friction material contacts on the flywheel at a different level than where the cover bolts on..
i took a toyota truck flywheel in as it was really worn.. almost flat..  it came back flat.. the guys at the machine shop ground the step off.  oh.. thats how we do all of them..  its an extra charge to machine both levels..  he is lucky i had set it down and he moved it back to his side of the counter. i did not help i had known the store owner there for over 30 years..

when you place the disc/s and clutch cover against the flywheel.. there should be a gap.. between the mounting feet of the clutch cover the flywheel.. this is how much the clutch friction surface can wear before the clutch starts to slip under normal operation..

i may put some more in here later...  

Dave632
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 11/27/13 08:32 AM

I think you need a new shop to take it to.
Things like this are why I always do everything myself. Sad to say most places are incompetent.  
[[SUPPORT AMERICAN CARS, STOMP A RICE CAR TODAY.]]

bthackrey
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 11/30/13 09:37 PM

Haha yeah  Crazy  I'll be searching for a better shop for future service

I haven't heard anything about that yet, I'll have to take a look at it if it seems to be having issues still once I get it back

Thanks for the help  

TO TOP