Item Posts    Sort Order

Chevy Express 1500 (2000 model) won't start!

belsyl85
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 05/18/14 12:41 PM

The last time I was able to start my Chevy was just before I changed the engine oil. There was also a leak in the crank shaft position sensor so I fixed that as well. Since the car would not start after that, I replaced the ignition control module and this has not solved the problem. Now when I put the key in the ignition the engine turns over but it will not start.  I also noticed that the diode-1 fuse has blown.  If I replace the diode fuse, will this solve the problem or could something else be wrong?   Any advice would be appreciated.  

wayne712222
My first time was in a Chevy
Posted: 05/18/14 01:31 PM

check the crank sensor.. that's its plugged in..  

belsyl85
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 05/18/14 01:52 PM

Thanks for the reply.  Just checked; it was plugged in. No change.  Frown  

wayne712222
Posted: 05/18/14 02:44 PM

did you put the engine oil back in the engine????   when you turn the key on.. do you get fuel pump noise for 2 seconds??  you can check the fuel pump fuse in the underhood fuse box..  to verify that when you turn the key on you get 2 seconds of fuel pump power..  if you don't.. find the fuel pump relay.. pull it out.. pry the cover off it carefully and reinstall the bare frame relay.. it then squeeze the contacts..  the fuel pump fuse should have power and you should hear fuel surge the thru the fuel rails and the injector block.....  if the relay pins are burned.. you could need a new relay.. ... let me know.. there is more to check here..

12 volts to the coil red wire?? yes or no.. with the key on..  use a test light..

spark from the ooil.. or no spark from the coil..  either use a timing light to indicate if its flashing.. or pull the coil wire from the cap.. and position it. but DO NOT hang onto it.. about 3/4 inch from the firewall.. and have somebody crank it.. do you get multiple sparks from the end of the coil wire??

yes or no..

if yes..

do a similar test with the individual spark plug wires.. using a screw driver up into the boot with it pulled off a easy to get at spark plug.. try not to rip the terminal off the end of the wire..  its easy to screw it up this way.. do you get spark or not... ?? if not.. and you did get it from the coil... then change the cap and rotor.. or at least the rotor..  

wayne712222
Posted: 05/18/14 02:49 PM

OH and i do believe that if you have problem with diode 1.. you will have an issue..

how do you know its bad???? it will ONLY OHM good in one direction.. in the other direction it will OHM as an OPEN..

if your digital ohm meter has a diode test.. -<|- you should get around .980 in one direction..

i will have to look and see where diode 1 is hooked into.. i don't know that off the top of my head..
edit.. i don't see a diode in the wiring diagrams..

Chevytruckignitionsystem2000 Zps5b6cad91  

TO TOP