Item Posts    Sort Order

87 z28 desperate for help.

mericle2013
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 04/29/14 07:11 PM

So what started as a good buy went south quick. I bought an 87 z28 and I found out soon after I needd a new motor. Long story short I bought a freshly built 72 for from a friend and did the swap. What do I need and what do I not from the wiring harnesses?! I have power from om the battery but nothing works..  Experienced advice preferred.  

shyrgfuh3
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 04/30/14 12:12 AM

hello;

i don't understand your question.

you drop the 72 engine in and connect all the 87 stuff.  

wayne712222
My first time was in a Chevy
Posted: 04/30/14 12:54 AM

i don't understand either..

not enough info...

he must have used the 87 heads as the 72 heads would not bolt up to the TPI intake..

i wonder if he hooked up all the ground wires..   it won't run without them being hooked up..

they are actually not ground wires.. they are HALF THE CIRCUIT.  they are also the side that has the electrons.. no ground connections.. NO electrons to power the circuits..

did they get all the wires hooked up..

is the....  pictures.. use photobucket..  

joe-
Posted: 04/30/14 08:29 AM

not enough info in the question for an answer.

are you saying that your going with a carb set-up?

what tranny?

i'd be glad to help as i have an 87, but take your time and explain your issue better.  
joe-

mericle2013
Posted: 04/30/14 09:19 AM

Not tpi, tbi. And no not everything. Obviously there's nowhere for all the sensors and vacuum lines. I'm talking about the alt, ac o ump, power steering, starter, water pump, etc. And no Im runnin headers. The motor has double hump heads, double roller timing chain set, flat top pistons, msd ignition, edelbrock intake with a holley quadra jet. And yes my whole issue is wiring. Ive been trying to find a schematic but cnt seem to find the right one. I just can't figure out what's what now.  

mericle2013
Posted: 04/30/14 09:27 AM

Not tpi, tbi. And no not everything. Obviously there's nowhere for all the sensors and vacuum lines. I'm talking about the alt, ac o ump, power steering, starter, water pump, etc. And no Im runnin headers. The motor has double hump heads, double roller timing chain set, flat top pistons, msd ignition, edelbrock intake with a holley quadra jet. And yes my whole issue is wiring. Ive been trying to find a schematic but cnt seem to find the right one. I just can't figure out what's what now.  

wayne712222
Posted: 04/30/14 05:32 PM

find an 82 to 85 camaro /firebird Vin H 5.0 with a 4 barrel carb diagram..

power to the HEI...

same wiring to the starter..

try figure 19 and figure 20...

wiring diagrams 3 gen actually firebird camaro are the same.

hopefully you will list just what you need to hook up.  

lets go over it ONE device at a time..

and its going to take pictures to get you the best advice..  use photobucket and paste the links here..

which MSD do you have???  there are a bunch of different versions and they get hooked up differently...  

joe-
Posted: 05/01/14 03:58 AM

heres a link to a site with wiring diagrams specific to third gen camaros and birds.  might help?
http://www.austinthirdgen.org/index.php?pid=19  
joe-

TO TOP