Ad Radar
Item Posts    Sort Order

Saginaw under over set up?

OleSkool731
My first time was in a Chevy
Posted: 05/01/14 04:02 PM

I have a 78 sagi for my 79 camaro, and I would love to run an over-under/under-over (what ever it is called) but gear vendors didn't make a sagi kit, guy I talked to said "because people who spend 3 grand for our product want a good, strong trans for it." But honestly, I've read more good things on this sagi than bad. Anyway, my point is, does anyone know of another company that would make one for a sagi, or is the tailhousing the same on a sagi and a Muncie or t10 or some thing, so I wouldn't need too swap the trans again anytime soon, or what? I'm here for learning and in the past y'all have given me a lot of information on subjects similar to this.. Any ideas folks? Thanks!  

wayne712222
Posted: 05/01/14 09:51 PM

what are your plans ...

are you going for fuel economy???  or top end speed???  or hard launches out of the hole..

the tail housing is different for the saginaw..

you should be able to get a gear vendors kit for a muncie or a T10.. both of which should slip almost directly into your camaro..  with only the need for a proper shifter and levers..

there is probably NOT room for it.. but 84 thru 88 corvettes had a doug nash T10 that had an overdrive section on the back.. they were called 4+3s.. and if you understood how they worked  and kept the overdrive section ATF changed .. they were wonderful transmissions.. according to something i read.. they were designed for jeeps.. to get some speed and fuel economy out of them.

there was a HOT PINK 86 rag top 4+3 in a former shop i worked at.. my boss there used to do some road racing..  he took it for a test drive.. and came back with the biggest smile on his face..  it had a 383 stroker and some mods to the TPI unit..  hot pink pearl.. looked like a barbie doll car..  ran like speed racers car..  cornered like a slot car with guide pins at both ends..

oh.. there is a way to make the overdrive kick in manually in second.. third and forth gear without the computer control  

76Skylark
Big Block power for the win
Posted: 05/02/14 11:14 AM

there is another way.........  and was just covered in print no more than a couple month's ago in an ol' school new wave HotRod mag. when I get home I will get the Name...  You find a early style(70's)chevy 3-speed that has an over drive, and with Simi-Minor fix's you put it in the 4-speed housing, SSimple, but they name a shop that does's this. I promise to get the Article ASAP  

OleSkool731
Posted: 05/02/14 05:15 PM

OK, I know the Muncie and t10 would bolt in with no issue, but the thing is, I'm kind of wanting to be able to run my 3.42 without doing 3 grand for 55, so a little on the fuel saving, but also to play around on the street or track if I want. And the 4 speed with the kit gives you more like 6 gears. But also the unit is lifetime guaranteed, I don't want to have to buy a different trans if not needed. Lol  

wayne712222
Posted: 05/02/14 07:48 PM

well.. i wonder if they could build you a gear vendors to run as a divorced unit..

like some truck transfers cases were.. the transmission had a short stub of a driveshaft.. between the transmission and transfer case..  the reason for the special tail housing it to counteract torque . so all you have to do is create a subframe extension to bolt it into ..  and a shorter driveshaft..

you could also... go the really hard way...  and find an MY6 i think was the RPO number.  its a newprocess transmission used in chevy pickups..  it was also used in boat loads of mopars..  

there are several articles on it..  hard to find.. yep..  odd parts.. yep..  overdrive that will probably slip into place without building a WHOLE bunch of stuff.. yep..  

http://www.customclassictrucks.com/techarticles/0905cct_a883_four_speed_overdrive_transmission/

and one of several parts of the GV videos..
http://www.gearvendors.com/videoclips/gv-overview.html  

76Skylark
Posted: 05/05/14 07:44 AM

So there is a good story with great coverage in a primedia mag. Yea 'cause you may be able to see it online maybe Wayne can put it here;  HOTROD Deluxe is the name and it is on Pg.74 story is called Get Gone and it was last month MARCH 2014. I can dig you not wanting to replace tranny's later but I love a Saginaw, but if you want to last behind mid-to-upper HP levels, well they don't like Mistakes,Aka:missed shifts or doing stupid stuff. but I would run one in most classes of round track cars(asphalt) unless it has lots of Pot holes(dirt)  

OleSkool731
Posted: 05/07/14 10:18 AM

The motor will be pushing about the 425 HP mark max. For now at least.. Lol.. I figured it would be cheaper to use the gear vendors and run a couple of wires and bolt in instead of spending the 500 to 1000 bucks more for a 6 speed setup that still needs fab work...  

76Skylark
Posted: 05/07/14 12:49 PM

And MORE is Just That... Mo'Money, what will a GV overdrive cost? Ain't nothin'Bolt In.  

OleSkool731
Posted: 05/13/14 03:13 PM

The 6 Speed Costs About 3 Grand For Just The TrannY No Clutch Or Bell Housing Or shifterOn Summit And Jegs, The 5 Speed I Would Get If I Got One Is 2500. The GV Setup Is Just Under 3 Grand For The Full kit  

OleSkool731
Posted: 05/13/14 03:20 PM

3 Grand For Just The Tranny, No Bellhousing Or Anything, ON Summit And jegs. The GV unit Is A Complete Kit For Just Under 3 Grand, All That's Needed To Do Then Is Cut The Driveshaft  

OleSkool731
Posted: 05/13/14 03:22 PM

I'm Sorry For The  Double  Message Crap, I'm Using My Phone And It Is A MajorPainInThe Butt, As YouMayCan tell  

76Skylark
Posted: 05/14/14 10:16 AM

So I would also call 425 hp enuff to damage the Sag.,look for that Five speed or get a S-T10,and the GV OD. If that 5 speed is from a camaro or GM I think the Ford Mustang version is better.  

OleSkool731
Posted: 05/23/14 01:33 PM

Well, It Was Enough Horse And Tq  Th350To Wear Out A th350. lol  

TO TOP