Item Posts    Sort Order

Callin idrive junk, Junk are you out there? I need help]

swaluda
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 09/15/13 02:24 PM

Your the body guy. I have a 50 Plymouth that has bad floors, no inner or outer rockers. I got all the new floors along with new inner and outer rockers. The door hinges are solid and don't sag. ( Blessing ) The inner rockers and outer rockers no longer exist. My plan is to cut back the floors to good solid weldable metal. Then i'm stuck. SO.... My question would be how and where do the inner rockers attach. I know the floor bracing gets welded to the inner rockers but do the inner rockers also weld to the inside of the door jamb area somehow? I guess my plan is to temporarily line up the outer rocker and tack it. Then install the inner rocker and ..... That's where im stuck.. The way I see it, is the floors lay on top of the inner rocker, and the outer rocker lays on top of the floor.. First time doing this, I need some tips or ideas. Thanks,,, Stan  

idrivejunk
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 09/15/13 06:24 PM

Wish I could see the pieces in question, I am flying blind on a '50 Plymouth. Theres a forties Caddy sedan at the shop getting a similar treatment though, lots of fab work.

If the floor edge is a straight line all the way with a flange bent up or down, of course thats where it will attach to the inner rocker. So will the floor braces.

Where the B pillar connects to the floor, on most bodies its an inner flat panel which connects the post to the edge of the inner rocker and stops there.

Then theres a sturdy vertical inner brace (the REAL post) that in most cases is a thicker metal and extends down to tie in to the floor brace that lines up with it, making a three layer sandwich- the vertical brace, inner rocker, and floor brace. This is usually the panel where the hinge or latch striker nuts are actually attached.

Then theres the outer rocker skin which usually just attaches at the edges but boxes in the inner rocker and completes the structure.

Hope thats the answer you were looking for. Visuals would as always be a big help, are there pics on the web somewhere of the parts you got or a similar car with the rocker cut open? Real general description I gave.  
idrivejunk

swaluda
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 09/16/13 03:37 AM

im gonna take some photos of my unit and post them, thanks junk,,,,Stan  

TO TOP