Ad Radar
12 Last
Item Posts    Sort Order

2004 Suburban "Clunk" sound in the front

cemarek
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 04/28/10 07:56 AM

I have a 2004 suburban and occasionally it will make a clunking sound that seems to come from the front passenger side wheel area.  It almost sounds like a loose a-arm or strut mount, but I have checked the steering linkage, the shocks, even the wheel lugs, all seems tight.  I don't know if anyone has dealt with this before? some times it isn't bad, and sometimes it will rattle when going down the road. I am not sure that it's coming from the wheel/suspension area, but it seems that way from the drivers seat. Any ideas are appreciated....  

chevman24
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 04/28/10 12:00 PM

Wheel Bearings  

chevelle83
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 04/28/10 12:32 PM

do you feel it in the steering wheel or the seat while driving? How many miles on this truck? has it been wrecked? does it do it when driving on smooth or rough surfaces?  

cemarek
Posted: 04/28/10 01:35 PM

Hey guys, Suburban is an 04, 83,000 miles, dont feel anything in the steering or seats when it makes the noise, sounds like something just banging around, but so far it has not affected steering or vehicle control at all, just way too annoying...Wheel bearings are good..thanks though...  

65SSIMP
Everything in my driveway’s a Chevy
Posted: 04/28/10 01:54 PM

what your are hearing is the the front drive shaft sliding in and out of the diff. Very common for those years,my 04 truck and my buddies does the same.G M apperantly has a brass sleeve or something that will fix the problem but its expensive. cheapest thing to do is pull the shaft once in a while and greese er up or call your dealer and they'll give you all the info you need for a permenent fix.good luckSmile  

cemarek
Posted: 04/29/10 05:44 AM

This is a 2 wheel drive suburban, I left that out earlier, sorry, so I don't have a front drive shaft, good info though.  

89cammedchevy
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 04/29/10 06:20 AM

check the shocks.  i have a 1997 yukon that the shock was loose on and it made a horrible clanking noise.  

chevelle83
Posted: 04/29/10 06:41 AM

check the sway bar bushings too. you didnt mention if it changes with speed. I wonder if the rotors could be warped and the caliper is moving with the warped rotor and making the noise, I have seen this on the back of a s10 with rear disc brakes and the rotors were so bad it made a bad clanging sound, just some thoughts.  

idrivejunk
Posted: 04/29/10 08:45 AM

Theres a fender-to firewall brace that often is left loose when a fender is installed. Had any bodywork? Stuff can fall down into the fender, too.  
idrivejunk

cemarek
Posted: 04/29/10 10:54 AM

HHmmm, the passenger side door was hit a few years ago, not bad, they just reskinned the door frame, but they may have removed the fender, Will check for a fender bracket and the sway bushings tonight, will let you know..thanks....  

65SSIMP
Posted: 05/02/10 10:52 AM

let us know what you findSmile  

planetnebur
Posted: 05/24/10 01:53 PM

SAme problem here, 80 miles 4x4 suburban... been looking to figure out this noise I've had no luck...  

65SSIMP
Posted: 05/24/10 07:22 PM

check where the torsion bar/rod meets the frame under the door. there is a cast wish-bone that bolts the two together that are prone to break.  

Mikes79
Big Block power for the win
Posted: 05/26/10 06:21 PM

It could also be a simple sway bar end link.  They usually don't go out until closer to or just above 100k miles, but it's a common problem I've dealt with a dozen times.  You won't "feel" a sway bar link go out, but it does make that irritating clunk noise.  Easy to fix too.  Turn your wheels all the way to the right and look at your passenger side while someone pushes up and down on your bumper then turn wheels the other way and check the other side.  If you see any play in the sway bar link joints, it's bad.  I've changed both sides at the same time even if only one is bad.  

kawasa
Posted: 10/13/10 09:29 PM

I agree with Mike. That has something to do with the sway bar link. Controlling body roll is the sway bar's job. This particular component connects the lower control arm to the sway bar. When the vehicle starts to lean over on a turn, this component helps provide upward force on the outer wheel and a lift on the inner so as to achieve balance between them. Excessive rolling motion can only be experienced if this particular suspension system component is damaged. Try checking it.  

12 Last
TO TOP