Ad Radar
Item Posts    Sort Order

4L60E snap ring from hell

DemerzelTarquin
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 03/20/14 07:07 PM

This is a frustrated post on my part...

I'm rebuilding a 4L60E - I just put the output shaft back in...how the hell do you get the snap ring back on?!?!? It's kicking my ass!

Also, I've stretched the snap ring unintentionally while trying various methods to install it...did I ruin it and need to buy a new one or am I able to tap it back into shape with a hammer.

It could just be my tools, what type, brand, model snap ring pliers do you guys use?

Thanks in advance.  

wayne712222
My first time was in a Chevy
Posted: 03/20/14 08:56 PM

new snap rings can be ordered from ANY gm dealer..

used ones.. some transmission parts suppliers might have them..

these are the proper tools to install the rear clutch snap ring..

700R4 4L60 4L60esnapringpliers Zpsd530bcc2

i did not have one at one time..  i needed to get that snap ring out.. i actually took some ABS sewer pipe.. cut a Y shaped slot that did not go all the way to the bottom..  used my conventional snap ring compressor to  drive it down .. the y shaped slot allowed me to get in with the one of the snap ring pliers i had..

i think i might still have that pipe kicking around in an old tool box but that one is buried deep..  

DemerzelTarquin
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 03/29/14 04:09 PM

Thanks. After waiting for some parts to arrive in the mail, I'm now at a different impass with this build. I've got everything but the valve body, rebuilt and installed. However, I am concerned that I did something incorrectly or missed a step...I can stand the trans vertically and manually turn the input shaft and the output shaft turns...but when I lay the transmission on my bench and manually turn the input shaft, the output shaft does not turn. I want to verify that this is correct before I finish it and give it back to my friend. Does this seem right? Does it not spin, simply because there is no pressure flowing through the valve body?  

wayne712222
My first time was in a Chevy
Posted: 03/30/14 11:27 AM

yes... the input shaft will turn without turning the output shaft...

and a huge hint..

do you have some steel wire..  

once i get the transmission on the jack under the car.. i then install the converter.. hold the hub and spin the converter to properly seat it on the multiple splines and into the pump..

i take a piece of wire and put it either around a slightly loosened pan bolt.. or thru the converter cover bolt holes.. with the front of the wire over a torque converter bolt block..   this stops the converter from sliding out of place when jacking up and installing the transmission..

there is nothing worse than installing a transmission and having the converter hub break the front pump..  

TO TOP