V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 08/27/13 07:11 AM

Chevy 387 Stroker
Comp Hydraulic Roller Cam  .520/.540
Edelbrock RPM Performer Heads
Edelbrock Victor Jr.
9.8:1 Compression
Using 91 octane non-ethanol fuel

This engine is 20 months old and has around 200 miles on it and probably 40/50 hours of run time.  Unfortunately, with the heat down here, the unruly rain, the high humidity, the bad roads and the lack of the car having AC - I just don't get to drive it much.

I run it for about 20 minutes every 4 to 6 weeks.  I never noticed this before because the engine builder was very proud of the engine not smoking at all when the car/engine was first done.

But now I notice some smoke during these 20 minute runs along with a decent amount of water/condensation coming from the tail pipes.

Could the rings or the valve job have already gone bad/failed on this rebuild?  

zman123
Everything in my driveway’s a Chevy
Posted: 08/27/13 08:30 AM

Does the smoke continue after the engine warms up? The water/condensation is just from hot exhaust on cold steel exhaust pipes and from the miisture in the air and alcohol in the fuel. Since your car sits for long periods there is probably some seepage through valve guides as it sits. At 200 miles your engine is not even broken in yet. I would not worry until you get several thousand miles on it and it is still doing it. the steam and condensation will continue no matter how old a vehicle is, espeially if you live in an area with high humidity.  

bigdee2
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 08/27/13 08:48 AM

The smoke will clear after 8 to 10 minutes.  

skyeking
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 08/27/13 04:55 PM

Hi there,
  It sounds like the engine was never bedded in properly.
  Give it a solid days outing. If you use too much oil
  [if any] then take a comp reading..  
skyeking

TO TOP