Ad Radar
Item Posts    Sort Order

LT1 T56 on a SBC383 in a 71 Trans Am advice?

Mr.Bagby
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 03/11/14 02:48 PM

I own a 71 Trans Am I restored and I'm soon to be installing a T56 off an lt1 Camaro. The motor in the car is a pre 1986 SBC its stroked to a 383. The engine mods include AFR 195 aluminum heads 64cc, estimated compression ratio around 10:1 1.6 roller rockers, 20cc dish pistons, XE284 hydraulic flat tappet cam, 1" 3/4 headers 3 inch dual exhaust with x-pipe, and lastly an edelbrock performer rpm intake. I had this mated up to a 700r4 for 2 years. I pulled the motor after 3,000 miles to address some oil leaks and tweak a few things. While doing that I decided to switch to a manual. Ive had nothing but trouble with the 700r4 not going into overdrive "whole reason I went to a 700r4". Before all the comments come rolling in it was the TV cable,it wasn't I had the correct geometry bracket on the carburator, and the TV cable was adjust by 2 professional Tranny shops. So I bought a Lt1 t56 last week it includes bell housing hydraulic clutch setup, flywheel and clutch. Now, my questions are I know the 2 piece crank requires a special flywheel.I found the one I needed it's a Fidanza 383-198661 it weighs only 13.5 pounds. Will there be an issue with drivability with my engine combo? Also, I have 3:42 gears in the rear end on 25 inch tall tires. My driving includes some in-town driving but mostly highway. I do not want to switch bell housing and use the push style. I have strict budget being in college. I due all work myself body,paint,interior,engine but being only 23 I have a lot to learn I would like advice on advantages and disadvantages of using the lightweight vs a heavier steel one. Also, anyone who has done this with camaro 70-81 and has advice to give or issue that are unforeseen please share.  

joe-
My first time was in a Chevy
Posted: 03/11/14 11:09 PM

theres a good t-56 thread here with lots of info and pics;
http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/transmissions-drivetrain/452246-my-t56-swap-thread.html

its a long read but you should find some good info in there.  
joe-

Mr.Bagby
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 03/12/14 11:55 AM

Thanks, that did answer many questions I had photos help the most. Other than cutting out for the shifter will I need to modify the transmission tunnel for it to fit? also I have a new MSD high torque mini start will this start still work. I have yet to use the starter but the cheap factory mini starters haven't held up well after 4 new ones in 2000 miles I bought a decent one.  

joe-
My first time was in a Chevy
Posted: 03/12/14 04:56 PM

i really don't know.   i just remembered reading through that thread once.   thought it might be helpful as the guy was using a gen 1 block.    do you have the pedal assembly off the newer camaro?   if you do have to modify the tranns tunnel, it shouldnt be that big of a deal.   installing a 4th gen console to kinda "update" the car might be a cool idea?   i would imagine you'll have to modify the tranns crossmember, driveshaft,  and possibly your exhaust?   its gonna be a pretty involved project.  should be awesome when your done.   would be cool if you took pics and posted them as you go through the process.  i'm sure others would like to see a step by step.  
joe-

TO TOP