Ad Radar
Item Posts    Sort Order

sbc 383 build

quicksilvercamaro
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 03/01/14 05:52 PM

Hey guys I have a short block 383 stroker done now. I was wondering what kind of heads and what intake would be best. It has forged crank, forged scat pro comp I beam rods, and forged flattop pistons 2vr. It has a solid billet roller .570 lift exhaust/intake , 244 duration @050 exhaust/intake, 285 adv duration exhaust/intake. The cam has a 110 lobe center. Has a true roller billet timing chain also. Would like to be in the 550-625 HP range. Want to still be able to run pump gas on 93 octane. The carb I will be running is a pro form 850cfm electric choke mechanical secondaries. It will be going in a 1980 camaro rs that will  be drove around town sometimes but mainly to car shows and the strip. Want good torque that will set u back in your seat. Itll be bolted to a th350, 3500 stall, with a shift kit and 3.73 or 4.11 rear end gears. All advice and info will be appreciated. Thanks  

Dave632
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 03/01/14 08:18 PM

AFR heads and a single plane intake would be a good choice.
To get that kind of power out of a 383 you are going to need more cam and spin that motor into the 7500 to 8000 range. That is going to take some high pressure springs and associated components. You are also going to need compression in the 12-1 or higher range.
Most of your choices are pretty good but getting that kind of power out of a 383 is not going to make it street friendly at all. If you want to stick with the cam you have and the flat top pistons you should be happy with around 450hp which is still good for a 383 and a lot more attainable.  
[[SUPPORT AMERICAN CARS, STOMP A RICE CAR TODAY.]]

quicksilvercamaro
Posted: 03/02/14 06:15 AM

Alright thanks. What kind of heads and intake though? Any certain pair for the most power? And what is about the highest compression you can run on 93 octane?  

Dave632
Posted: 03/02/14 07:46 AM

I would look at the AFR 195-210 intake range. The 195s would make a good street strip combo with your current cam choice. If you are leaning toward the performance side the 210s would work but you are going to have to spin that motor higher and go for a bigger cam.
I would say about 10-1 is about as high as you would want to go with 93 octane.
As far as intakes if you are going for maximum hp the single plane is the way to go, or better yet the tunnel ram, but that would require a hood scoop. I once picked up 9 tenths in the 1/8th with a tunnel ram over a single 4 dual plane on a SBC.
There are a variety of SB Chevy single plane intakes out there such as the Edlebrock Victor junior or the super Victor. If you are leaning toward street then a dual plane is the better choice.  

quicksilvercamaro
Posted: 03/02/14 08:29 AM

Okay thanks. Would I gain anything using 1.6 roller rockers instead of 1.5? Would that change the cam setup any to benefit the 210 heads?  

Dave632
Posted: 03/02/14 02:49 PM

Using the 1.6 rockers would simply make your cam act like it is bigger. Since you are in the process of designing your engine around a current cam choice you can get whatever grind you want with no need to go to the 1.6 rockers.

They are only beneficial if you have a current cam and want a little more lift and duration out of what is there already. You would also have to be careful with an already built engine that the extra lift would not cause piston to valve contact.
Now if you already purchased the cam and think you need some more lift and duration then go with the 1.6 rockers.
By the way I would go with the CNC ported version of the new heads if you can afford the difference. I think those heads come in 65 and 75cc combustion chambers which you can use to help adjust compression ratio to your choice.  

quicksilvercamaro
Posted: 03/02/14 07:29 PM

That is the cam I have. Its already installed and everything. All I need is the top end. But thanks for the info. Tell me what you think about this setup...

-weiand team g intake
-215cc fully cnc'd heads, 64cc combustion chamber, 2.02/1.6 valves( should be about 10.5:1)
- 1.6 ratio scorpion race roller rockers( would put lift to about .608 lift)
- proform billet 850 FM mechanical secondaries electric choke
- 1 3/4 full length headers into 2 1/2 exhaust with super 10 flow masters
- th350 3500 stall, alto stage 3 rebuild kit, shift kit
- stock 8.5" 10 bolt rear end with posi 3.73 gears, 28" bfg tires
-SFI harmonic balancer and flexpate
-msd pro billet distributor, blaster 2 coil, digital 6al ignition box, 8.5mm super conductor wires
-3 row aluminum race radiator, electric water pump, electric fuel pump

That is what I'm looking at what's your opinions on it.  

Dave632
Posted: 03/02/14 08:15 PM

All sounds pretty good, I ran a team G on one of my BBs and it was a decent intake.
The only thing I can find fault with is the tires. You will have some trouble hooking up with those in my opinion. I had trouble hooking with 17x3.5s but that is another story.
The rear should hold for awhile but in the future you may want to look into a Ford 9" depending on how far you want to go.  Make sure that electric fuel pump is big enough I would look to at least a 200 gph pump with a return line and of course a regulator. I never liked dead heading a pump. I ran a BG 400 in my Beretta with good luck and a 250+ a 110 in the Camaro.  

quicksilvercamaro
Posted: 03/02/14 08:36 PM

Yeah I was going to get different tires that's just what's on there now since the 383 isn't in the car yet. And I'll probably switch to a 9 inch later but thanks I really appreciate all the help.  

Dave632
Posted: 03/03/14 09:20 AM

Good luck, let us know how it turns out..  

TO TOP