Item Posts    Sort Order

Carb jetting ?

daleracerx
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 04/21/14 09:01 PM

Reason I want/need to purchase a trailer.My home track is 3 miles away which is only 8th mile..Fontana 1/4 mile is about 20 miles one way..Bakersfield 1/4 mile close to a 3 hr drive one way..Then you never know when something is going to break..The question is not if it breaks its when it breaks if you catch my drift.  

Dave632
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 04/24/14 08:06 PM

You are right about something breaking sooner or later.
I broke every part of the drivetrain at one time or another.
Kept finding the weakest link in the chain.
As I gained experience my cars were more reliable.  
[[SUPPORT AMERICAN CARS, STOMP A RICE CAR TODAY.]]

daleracerx
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 05/10/14 11:02 PM

I have been lucky this far Dave.I havent broken anything as of yet knock on wood..I sure wont be surprised when something does break.When you put alot of stress on a car its gonna happen sooner or later that is.

Well week before last made no changes.I was one of the first down the tarmac before the street meats tore up the launch pad.Track prep was supurb at the time.I ran a 8.14 with a 1.706 60 ft. 81+ mphrs..Best pass of the night..

Now last Thursday I'm thinking make a pass get a idea on track prep.If all goes well and I HOOK retard my timing...My combo has picked up each time I have retarded the timing..Made 6 passes I did not make any changes to the car from the 8.14 tune. Best I could muster up was a 8.25.Track prep was not there spun in the first 60ft each pass.

Sense I have had the D/R's on the car it has never dead hooked in the 60ft..I have a idea to pull just a touch of power out of it to get the car to dead hook in the 60ft.If the car hooks I should see some better 60ft times which will equal better et's. Steady knocking on the 7's door.I'll keep you guys posted on the outcome..  

Dave632
Posted: 05/11/14 07:25 AM

That's good Dale, sure is nice to read a racing post on this site. 8.14 is a very good ET out of 81 mph. My 95 street Camaro ran 86 mph in the 1/8th and the best ET it ever got was 8.57. That Camaro was not stock as it had ported heads, 2.02 1.60, over sized valves, street cam, which was a pain with the stock converter, headers, and reprogrammed computer. It was desperate for a converter as the best 60' was in the 2.0 range despite having drag radials on it.
 A Nova I had with a SB in it ran 89mph in the 1/8th and it's best ET was 7.89. It had a tunnel ram on it and would come alive at 4000+. It sadly lacked a high stall converter too as it only had a 22-2400 stall. It had a 4.56 rear with 10.5 slicks on it and it's best 60' was in the 1.7 range.
Track prep starts to become very important the more power you make. I remember they had slick tire only track nights at some of the tracks I ran at as the street tires would pull the rubber off the track.
When we had the heads up meets they would treat the track all the way down and that would make a difference with cars that were leaving a tire trail all the way down the track.
Keep up he good work Dale you will hit those 7s soon..  

joe-
My first time was in a Chevy
Posted: 05/11/14 01:26 PM

glad to hear things are going good on your end Dale.  

my end isnt going so great.   i took the car for a test ride, and the converter gives a much better launch, 3,000+rpm, drag radials wont hook even with 15psi.   but it wont let me manualy shift now.   Confused      on top of that, sometimes it wont go in gear, next day its fine.   i dont get it?  i guess i need to go back through everything?  Tongue      definetly not a happy camper right now.
IDK if the detent/kickdown cable could have anything to do with it?  i found mine broke, so i bought a new one, just need to install it.  
joe-

Dave632
Posted: 05/11/14 06:08 PM

Joe, I used a guy named Butch for my transmissions. He worked about 20 years for GM and he knew the glide, 350/400/700 trans well. He would freshen my glides about every 50-60 runs. Quite reasonable to. He lives over in Wesley Chapel, Fla. and I don't know if he is still doing trans. If you are interested I will see if I still have his number. It has been about 6 years since I have seen him.
If there was any big trouble I had it was traction. I had big 17 by 34.5 monsters under the Beretta and sometimes it felt like I was running on oil. Once I left the line in a semi final race and it just sat there and blew the tires away, that was on motor only, no juice. Fortunately the other guy died on the line and if I remember right I ended up winning that event.  

joe-
My first time was in a Chevy
Posted: 05/12/14 08:22 AM

i might take you up on that offer Dave if i cant figure it out.   wesley chapel isnt too far from here, and i'd rather deal with a reputable guy.   maybe the tranns was on it's way out?   it's been 10 years since its last full rebuild.   it was giving me a few problems but worked great when manually shifting.   stuff happens.   i've seen trannys go out at the strangest times with no warning.

i was really hoping that the battery relocation would help traction, but its pretty obvious now that i need more tire.  not that its super fast, but 26" tall tires arent cutting it.   maybe its time to just run slicks?   i dont ride in the rain, and honestly dont drive the car often anymore.    uhgg,....more money. Tongue  
joe-

daleracerx
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 05/12/14 02:34 PM

Thanks Dave and yes a verter will make all the difference in the world matched with the cam and gear ratio..

From the combos you posted I am not to far off from what I should expect..I deff need more gear for my combo for 8th mile..have yet to hit the 1/4 mile but it shell be done..I can live with the 3.73's for now...  

daleracerx
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 05/12/14 03:07 PM

Thanks Joe,but let me be the first to tell you..A drag radial is not going to hook on street surface with no prep at all..If you ever watch any SEROIUS street racing vids most are on a slick or a street DOT slick..

If you're going to spend more time on the street not the track you do not want a drag radial..My suspenion which is not all stock the d/r's work best at 23 psi..15 psi seems to be a bit low for you.I tried 15 psi before while figureing out the d/r's.Traction was even worse with some track prep..You have to set your suspenion up to run a drag radial or else they never work as they should..

You can put more tire on the car and still not hook..Its all in the set up..If you have no wants to upgrade your suspenion go to a more forgiving tire.One choice would be the ET street DOT slick..Not as fast reacting as a drag radial but much more forgiving off the launch.

Yep sorry to say Joe that new verter and hard launch might have taken the last breath out of your trans..If you ran the trans hard for a good amount of years without the K/D cable NOT connected that will kill the life of a trans..When the k/d is applied it produces more pressure in your trans and lines..So imagine flooring the car and the trans fluid pressure is at cruiseing speeds..HEAT BUILD UP!!!Over time it will kill a trans no doubt.

I dont have my K/D hooked up while driving the street because I cruise it.The way my carb and intake is set up reason I dont have it hooked at all times..Once at the track I pull the cable zip tie it..When I leave the track cut the zip tie off..

B&M had some built 350 trans going for a tad over $800.00 not long ago..Might want to check...

Check the fluid Joe for discoloration or a burnt smell..

Here is a pass from last week... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZ9CgTzntiw  

daleracerx
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 06/08/14 11:10 PM

Not much on my end to report..Weather change and track prep was a issue...I made a few adjustments my performance was lacking there after...Best ET of the night was a 8.37..I was very disappointed.Going back to what works for my combo..

Pass from last TNT http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vx0B0DlCC_4  

TO TOP