Item Posts    Sort Order

Carb jetting ?

daleracerx
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 04/15/14 09:08 PM

I run the same exact drag radial Joe..As far as hooking better with more tire it all depends on how your car is set up..Some can mount more tire and hook right off the bat. Some not on the same size tire..

I have the water wetter present in my radiator with distilled water..I keep a eye on my temp gauge sense blowing a head gasket a few months ago..I really did not notice any change from antifreeze..  

daleracerx
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 04/15/14 09:23 PM

Thanks for the tip Dave..The tech at the track had been on me a couple of times about the loop was needed due to the Drag Radials..The other techs sign my card and gives me no trouble what so ever..But this one tech another story..

I started thinking and this is what came to mind...This car in OEM form was not based on performance at all.With that said I am throwing a whole lot at that stock driveshaft..I'm sure I am hitting that driveshaft with more torque than it was ever produced to handle.I rather get the loop and keep everyone safe at the track if I can..I have seen some shafts get thrown from under a car..It can be a very unsafe condition..Loops are cheap and a safety feature I can live with..

Chrome moly shaft not so cheap..I need to find somekind of sponsorship to get a handle on that one..  

joe-
My first time was in a Chevy
Posted: 04/16/14 03:04 AM

these are the tires i'm trying next time.  note they're 16".   i've seen people get them on 3rd gens with out too much work.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mtt-3794r/overview/

a safety loop is a good idea.  i just fixed a guys truck the other night.  he was out here at the end of our road playing in a small sand pit with a 2007 dodge truck.    he kicked both u-joints out at once!   it was an aluminum driveshaft.   pretty easy to fix.  he paid for 2 new u-joints and gave me $150 to install them.   his pain was my gain. Grin      even stock stuff fails.  the truck was totally stock, nothing done to it.   it crossed my mind while under the truck and installing the driveshaft, that it would be super easy for the factory to install a safety loop.  kinda wondered why they dont?   especially since todays newer vehicles are supposed to be so safe.  
joe-

Dave632
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 04/16/14 05:07 PM

I think the factories are more worried about the lady who drives thru a store front, (can't believe how many dumbbells do that), than those of us who go after lot of performance.
The stock driveshaft from early model cars like the 72 Nova I had took quite a bit of abuse with no failure. I did have heavy duty joints on it. It was running 6s in the 1/8th in a 3000 lb car so I think you are safe Dale. Just put that loop on it.  
[[SUPPORT AMERICAN CARS, STOMP A RICE CAR TODAY.]]

daleracerx
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 04/17/14 09:50 PM

I have seen a few guys at the track run that tire Joe..I will keep a eye out next week on the guys running that tire and post some feedback..

Thats good to know Dave.I did have heavy duty u joints mounted when I had the rearend built.I was trying to cover all the weak links in the drivetrain that I could at the time..So far so good knock on wood..

When I mount the loop going to reset my rear shocks.I am looking for that LEAP off the green.Should help my 60ft times if I get things to work..Things are working as is just trying to improve my 60ft and eliminate the squat off the green.That energy can be used to LEAP the car off the green.. At times it's easier said than done..In the sport of drag racing we are all chasing something..BETTER ET'S for myself..

After rethinking things on my budget...If I can get this combo to run mid 7's.I will be DONE on this combo..Rear shock adjustment then put the car on a diet..F/G cowl hood is next on the list..Then a fiber glass front bumper..Found a guy that does fiberglass doors for 4 door box chevy's.I am going to contact him to see if he will fabricate doors for a coupe..

I am sure on the motor I am close to opt performance..Its time to shed some weight..

Sounds like a repost as in what I am trying to achieve..Owell I was lost in the moment.. Laugh  

joe-
Posted: 04/18/14 04:50 AM

sounds like your headed in the right direction Dale.   theres lots of weight to be lost.   i've seen guys cut the crash bars out of factory doors real carefully, then swiss cheese the door with hole saws, for lighter weight.  

finally got around to some new pics.   what do you guys think?
041704 183801 Zpscc489528

041704 183300 Zps158933ab

041704 183400 Zpsf613d058

041704 183501 Zpsfa86b51c

041704 183600 Zps1acd72ae

041704 183601 Zpsdc3b9e8e

041704 183701 Zps5c36c5da

041704 183500 Zpsc8143610  
joe-

joe-
Posted: 04/18/14 05:04 AM

Dale, if you want to do the fiberglass doors, here's a good thread about the fabrication and possible problems you might run into.  lots of pics with good info.

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/organized-drag-racing-autocross/551081-fiberglass-door-project.html  
joe-

Dave632
Posted: 04/18/14 03:32 PM

Looks good joe, I would recommend that kill switch, or a second one, be outside however.  

daleracerx
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 04/18/14 10:09 PM

Looks good Joe I like the attention to detail..Not much to look at inside my car.Under the hood yes interior not lol.Nothing speacial there but a tach and a floor shifter.For years I said I would gut my car...I am soon as a trailer is purchased..

Reloacting the battery was a wise choice..I need to do the same mod..That would be a easy 25 pounds off the nose..

Any plans on taking your car to the track? If so please have a camera man handy so we can see you in action..

Thanks for the link lots of info there..  

joe-
Posted: 04/19/14 04:55 AM

thanx guys!   it's coming along, (at a snails pace). Grin  

autozone lists my battery weight at 32 pounds.  so thats 32 off the front, and 32 added to the rear.  plus the weight of the cables.  i'm hoping it aids in traction.

if everything goes good, the plan is to hit the track in about 2 months.  i'll be sure to get some videos.  i'm curious to see what it will do.  
 i've been thinking about getting a car trailer too.  it makes too much sense.  the last thing i want to happen is be stranded from home an hour away with a break-down.

Dave, i know the disconnect switch is supposed to be on the outside, cant be keyed, cant be plastic, must push in for "off", etc, but my car is not a dedicated drag racer and i couldnt bring myself to drill a hole through the body or tailights.     i highly doubt the tech at the track is that tough?   if absolutely needed, i guess i can always add another switch?  

i made a checklist of stuff i need to get done on this car, to get rolling again.   surprisingly its smallish.    with no garage, the rain can grind any progress to a halt.  
joe-

Dave632
Posted: 04/19/14 09:40 AM

Dale a trailer makes a lot of sense but you do need a good tow vehicle also. I tried towing with a regular pickup once and it was very unstable even with an open trailer. There was no way to tow an enclosed trailer with that a dually was a must.
Joe if you run at Sunshine or Lakeland there is no such thing as tech. Even when I ran the Pro Mod at Sunshine the only thing they ever said to me was to put my racing gloves on. Never looked in or under the car once and I was running in the 150 mph range in the 1/8th.
The worst hazard I saw at any track was the drivers. Many of them should not have been allowed on the track. One idiot ran smack into the side of another car never letting off, had plenty of time to let off to.
I don't think he would have walked away from the track that day if he had done that to my car.  

daleracerx
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 04/19/14 12:47 PM

Well Dave I purchased a mint condition 2004 Silverado about a year ago just for the purpose and to be my DD..I was then and still now amazed on the condition of this truck..Just like it was a few miles off the showroom floor so to speak..Once the 3600 stall converter was mounted with 3.73 gears plus the spool DD was a thing of the past for the Impala.The fuel consumption was horrible..Even with the stock verter 2.56 gear it was a beast on fuel..The Silverado purchase was killing two birds with one stone..Tow rig/DD I needed all in one..

I have yet to tow with the truck.It has tow mode so it better be good for something .I have been told you have to find the sweet spot on the trailer where to position the car for stability while towing.I will keep the weight to a minimum while towing..No generator needed at this time and no need to carry a boat load of tools with me..

I am deff going with 16ft open trailer dove tail if I can locate one for a fair price..Might buy new all depends on the budget next year when the impala's registration is due..Not going to renew the tags again.(Smog check cough cough).Trailer bound..  

daleracerx
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 04/19/14 06:16 PM

I can relate to that Dave..My preff is to be way out in front of the car I am running against or way behind them..I tend to get a wee bit cautious running fender to fender with the less experienced drivers.I preff to run the regulars who are on the track often but it doesnt always happen that way.Even with a experienced driver things can go bad in a hurry.Nothing wrong lifting off the gas to race another day is what I say.Seen guys literally on the edge of losing control and stay in it.Nope I will pass on not having full control of my car.I lift  Grin  

Dave632
Posted: 04/20/14 02:24 PM

An open trailer tows much better than an enclosed. Keep the tire pressure up to the max on both vehicles and make sure the rear suspension on the truck is not weak.
When I switched to a dually it was night and day over a standard pickup.
I tried an anti sway setup on one of my enclosed and it helped some.
I remember the Beretta would always get a little out of shape when it shifted to high, even with those 17x33.5 monsters under it. I was so used to letting off when it shifted when it made a clean pass I would still let off out of habit.
I remember my son asking me why I let up on a good pass and I had no good answer.  

Dave632
Posted: 04/20/14 02:31 PM

Icon QuoteDave632:
I have to say you are bringing some life to this site with some racing talk. Please keep doing it... Most of the posts are pretty dull.
I just watched you smoke that rice and I really like that. I never got to run any rice cars with the Beretta as they would run and hide in the fields when that car ran. 4.70s @ 153 in the 1/8th with only one stage going, (it had 3 stages), and only about a 250 shot on that stage.
Let us know how you do at the test and tune. I have no doubt you will get into the high 7s especially if you go with that 383. 3600 lbs is really not too bad for such a big car, my 95 Camaro weighed in at around 3500 and change and it had aluminum heads, factory plastic doors and hood.
Weight can be a big factor in drag racing. I took a motor out of a Nova I had and put it into the Beretta when I first got it. There was about an 800 lb difference weight between the 2 cars and the ET dropped from 6.5s to 5.6s in the 1/8th. This was before the 632 was put in which ran 5.0s on motor alone.
I can relate to losing some races, even with the Beretta. Some of the guys I raced against had big budgets but most of them were inconsistent. I ran a more conservative setup and got down the track more often. This allowed me to make it to at least the semis most of the time and also win a couple of events in the one time I raced the full season.
Here is a shot of the 632 before all the nitrous stages were added.
MVC 026S
I seem to be sounding like Al Bundy on the Married with children TV show. Relating back to his old high school glory of 4 touchdowns in one game.  Grin

Icon Quotedaleracerx:
Well thank you Dave and Joe,I am happy if I have brought anything to this forum in a positive manner..I enjoy talking about drag racing.I am always trying to find those few extra ponies to beat my latest personal best..I have been trying to become more consistent cutting some good reaction times aswell getting into the 7's..I am more of a bracket racer at my power level.R/T's are very important in that aspect.Not as easy as it looks from the stands ask me how do I know Grin

Yep had some fried rice Dave.I had no clue he had a turbo until we were in the water box..I said to myself RUN YOUR OWN RACE....I was in the zone forgot we had rice in the other lane..I dont think many cars would had wanted a piece of that Beretta..Thats a whole lot of motor you had there.Even without the 3 guns I am sure that car was a handful to drive..4.70's in the 8th holy crap..At Irwendale speedway the track I run.Hence (DaleracerX) we dont have many cars dipping into the 4's period..Low 5's we have plenty..At times I wonder if spectators have a clue how much it takes to even knock off .3 on your time slip.Much respect given to those who are constantly lowering their et's.For myself I call it trial and error..I am always up to something turning wrenches on my junk..

Wow I thought that year Comaro was no more than 3200lbs..

That 800 lbs was a huge difference.I plan on gutting mine in the near future once I purchase a trailer..At the moment I drive the Impala to and from the track..3 miles from my current location..To be honest I recently moved to this location just to be closer to the track..

I am a low budget racer myself Dave..Good job on those wins and semi's.The red Comaro in the link looks badass..I have a bud in Bartlett Tenn who runs a 69 bbc 496 5.60's in the 8th..I went there to visit him 3 times and we took his Comaro to Byhallia 8th mile..You ever herd of this track? On another visit we ventured out to the well known Holly Springs track.

Just curious did you run a glide in the Beretta,lenco,Jerry?

Just reading this older post again.
I have only been to one track since moving to Tennessee and that was Knoxville drags.
I have been told I live within an hour of 4 tracks, to bad I am not racing anymore.  

TO TOP