Ad Radar
123 Last
Item Posts    Sort Order

Carb jetting ?

daleracerx
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 02/20/14 08:17 PM

My combo is a sbc 355 Edelbrock performer heads milled down and had a 5 angle performance valve job performed and had the bowls cleaned up.Comp cam XE274 Eddies rpm dual plane air gap AED 750 dbl pumper 80 jets front and back no power valve.Hooker long tubes dual exhaust with 40 series flowmasters..

The car weighs in at a tad over 3600 without me in it runs 8.33/8.35 consistantly..On a good day has popped off 2 8.26's in the 8th mile.

Seems the car lays over a tad once I shift into 3rd down the track..Any idea if the 80's squared jetted may be a bit to fat for this combo?

Thanks in advance..  

Dave632
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 02/21/14 06:48 PM

For the weight of the car and what you have it seems to me you are close to where you should be. What is the MPH in the 1/8th? That is always a better indicator of engine performance than ET which is affected by traction, gearing, track conditions and other factors. You should be in the 83-87 MPH range with your combo by my estimates of about 40 years of drag racing many different combos.
I would take a plug reading after a run and the proper way to do that is to make a pass and at the end of the run shut the engine off just after you close the throttle. Then coast and brake to the return road, hopefully getting a buddy to tow you back to the pits. Take a plug reading before starting up again. You should have a very light tan color on the insulator. If it is pure white you are too lean and if it is a dark tan or brown you are too rich. I would then drop down a step in jetting and take another plug reading.  
[[SUPPORT AMERICAN CARS, STOMP A RICE CAR TODAY.]]

daleracerx
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 02/21/14 08:26 PM

You're good at this Dave. I run through the traps at 80-81 mphrs.. 60ft times are in the low 1.70's.
Thanks for the advice will do.. Here is the car in question 2 door Impala. Sorry for the delay in the vid.

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZ9v0FvrXD4  

daleracerx
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 02/21/14 08:50 PM

Running a B&M holeshot 3600 verter.Big 10 rearend spool 373 gear Strange 30 spline axles C clip elims.28x10.5 Drag Radials.
Comp Enginering 3 way adjustableon all for corners.  

Dave632
Posted: 02/23/14 06:41 AM

That is a good 60' time, your converter, gear, and tires are working. Just as a comparison, I had a street driven 95 Camaro that ran 87 mph in the 1/8th and only ran 8.57. It had a stock converter and 3.23 gears which killed the combo off the line even with drag radials, 2 teens in the 60' department, yech. My Beretta was a little quicker at 1.07.  

Dave632
Posted: 02/23/14 06:56 AM

Watched the video and it lives up to the good 60' time, nice going. Some day I will figure out how to transfer some of my videos which are on VHS to youtube.
Here is all I can do a still:
MVC 027S
That was the Beretta.
Here is a shot of the street Camaro:
MVC 038S  

daleracerx
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 02/24/14 03:39 PM

Thanks Dave it was a long road to get those numbers with my boat..My first pass ever in the car I was not happy at all..Can we say 60ft times were in the 2.30's  if I remember correctlty and 1/8 mile 10.50's at 60+ mphr..

My goal is to get this combo in the high 7's..I am in the mist of building a 383 13:1 compression solid roller AFR heads.Put the car on a diet fiberglass hood and fiberglass front bumper will help alot.

Nice Beretta always loved the Beretta body style in pro stock trim.Bet it was a blast to drive that BEAST!!!!

The Comara still had to be a fun street car. Grin  

daleracerx
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 02/24/14 03:40 PM

Thanks Dave it was a long road to get those numbers with my boat..My first pass ever in the car I was not happy at all..Can we say 60ft times were in the 2.30's  if I remember correctlty and 1/8 mile 10.50's at 60+ mphr..

My goal is to get this combo in the high 7's..I am in the mist of building a 383 13:1 compression solid roller AFR heads.Put the car on a diet fiberglass hood and fiberglass front bumper will help alot.

Nice Beretta always loved the Beretta body style in pro stock trim.Bet it was a blast to drive that BEAST!!!!

The Comara still had to be a fun street car. Grin  

joe-
My first time was in a Chevy
Posted: 02/24/14 04:04 PM

thats a nice impala.
looks like she runs strong.  
joe-

daleracerx
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 02/24/14 08:54 PM

Thank you car was thrashed day of purchase..I had a vision wanted to build something a bit different from the rest.

In the vid was the day I figured out the Drag Radials..I was along the lines thinking mount the D/R's and hook city..I was dead wrong on that note in my case..I went up and down on the air pressure and nothing helped until I mounted the 3 ways on the rear.Front springs and shocks were bone stock other than the 3 way adjustables on the rear in the vid..I mounted performance drag springs up front with 3 way adjustable shocks up front set at 90/10.Now days I get some air under the driverside front when I launch the car.Rear suspenion needs a little work.I want the car to leap off the line not squat as it has been doing.I want to use that energy to launch/leap the car not drop the rear bumper on the launch.I just have not had the time to pull the shocks to readjust.Going to the track this week for TNT rear shocks will be readjusted.If spin city will go back to where they were.

Runs ok I guess I hope it has some high 7's in it..  

daleracerx
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 02/24/14 09:04 PM

Ricer on turbo vs American Muscle...

I have won a few but also had my ass handed to me many times..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WxU9FYR_sM  

Dave632
Posted: 02/25/14 07:05 AM

I have to say you are bringing some life to this site with some racing talk. Please keep doing it... Most of the posts are pretty dull.
I just watched you smoke that rice and I really like that. I never got to run any rice cars with the Beretta as they would run and hide in the fields when that car ran. 4.70s @ 153 in the 1/8th with only one stage going, (it had 3 stages), and only about a 250 shot on that stage.
Let us know how you do at the test and tune. I have no doubt you will get into the high 7s especially if you go with that 383. 3600 lbs is really not too bad for such a big car, my 95 Camaro weighed in at around 3500 and change and it had aluminum heads, factory plastic doors and hood.
Weight can be a big factor in drag racing. I took a motor out of a Nova I had and put it into the Beretta when I first got it. There was about an 800 lb difference weight between the 2 cars and the ET dropped from 6.5s to 5.6s in the 1/8th. This was before the 632 was put in which ran 5.0s on motor alone.
I can relate to losing some races, even with the Beretta. Some of the guys I raced against had big budgets but most of them were inconsistent. I ran a more conservative setup and got down the track more often. This allowed me to make it to at least the semis most of the time and also win a couple of events in the one time I raced the full season.
Here is a shot of the 632 before all the nitrous stages were added.
MVC 026S
I seem to be sounding like Al Bundy on the Married with children TV show. Relating back to his old high school glory of 4 touchdowns in one game.  Grin  

joe-
My first time was in a Chevy
Posted: 02/25/14 12:43 PM

Dave, you had me laughing with this statement, and i agree.

"I have to say you are bringing some life to this site with some racing talk. Please keep doing it... Most of the posts are pretty dull."

so thank you Dale.    it sounds like those shocks made a big difference?

im determined to get our car to the track this summer.  one of my sons finally seems interested in racing.  Smile    he's been helping with building a small cage.
IMG 07701 Zpsbda8cd88

picked up a few other goodies.  really hoping the 10" converter gives a better launch.
IMG 48491 Zps38a1a56e
we got a battery relocation kit too.   its been fun spending that father-son time together.   we're going to the track tomorrow just to watch as the car is up on stands now.   hoping to come home tomorrow pumped up. Grin  
joe-

Dave632
Posted: 02/25/14 05:53 PM

Cage looks good Joe, wish I had your help with welding expertise when I was putting some of my stuff together. My Tig welding was not the best.
Going to the track is always a pump up to get a project going. We finally went to the track here in Tennessee a few months ago.
That converter should make a nice difference out of the hole.
Hopefully Dale can keep us informed and let us know how he is doing.
This site is supposed to be Chevy HIGH performance not how can I fix my 30 year old clunker with a dead battery. Very little performance talk going on refreshing to hear from guys like Dale.  

daleracerx
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 02/25/14 09:13 PM

Icon QuoteDave632:
I have to say you are bringing some life to this site with some racing talk. Please keep doing it... Most of the posts are pretty dull.
I just watched you smoke that rice and I really like that. I never got to run any rice cars with the Beretta as they would run and hide in the fields when that car ran. 4.70s @ 153 in the 1/8th with only one stage going, (it had 3 stages), and only about a 250 shot on that stage.
Let us know how you do at the test and tune. I have no doubt you will get into the high 7s especially if you go with that 383. 3600 lbs is really not too bad for such a big car, my 95 Camaro weighed in at around 3500 and change and it had aluminum heads, factory plastic doors and hood.
Weight can be a big factor in drag racing. I took a motor out of a Nova I had and put it into the Beretta when I first got it. There was about an 800 lb difference weight between the 2 cars and the ET dropped from 6.5s to 5.6s in the 1/8th. This was before the 632 was put in which ran 5.0s on motor alone.
I can relate to losing some races, even with the Beretta. Some of the guys I raced against had big budgets but most of them were inconsistent. I ran a more conservative setup and got down the track more often. This allowed me to make it to at least the semis most of the time and also win a couple of events in the one time I raced the full season.
Here is a shot of the 632 before all the nitrous stages were added.
MVC 026S
I seem to be sounding like Al Bundy on the Married with children TV show. Relating back to his old high school glory of 4 touchdowns in one game.  Grin

Well thank you Dave and Joe,I am happy if I have brought anything to this forum in a positive manner..I enjoy talking about drag racing.I am always trying to find those few extra ponies to beat my latest personal best..I have been trying to become more consistent cutting some good reaction times aswell getting into the 7's..I am more of a bracket racer at my power level.R/T's are very important in that aspect.Not as easy as it looks from the stands ask me how do I know Grin

Yep had some fried rice Dave.I had no clue he had a turbo until we were in the water box..I said to myself RUN YOUR OWN RACE....I was in the zone forgot we had rice in the other lane..I dont think many cars would had wanted a piece of that Beretta..Thats a whole lot of motor you had there.Even without the 3 guns I am sure that car was a handful to drive..4.70's in the 8th holy crap..At Irwendale speedway the track I run.Hence (DaleracerX) we dont have many cars dipping into the 4's period..Low 5's we have plenty..At times I wonder if spectators have a clue how much it takes to even knock off .3 on your time slip.Much respect given to those who are constantly lowering their et's.For myself I call it trial and error..I am always up to something turning wrenches on my junk..

Wow I thought that year Comaro was no more than 3200lbs..

That 800 lbs was a huge difference.I plan on gutting mine in the near future once I purchase a trailer..At the moment I drive the Impala to and from the track..3 miles from my current location..To be honest I recently moved to this location just to be closer to the track..

I am a low budget racer myself Dave..Good job on those wins and semi's.The red Comaro in the link looks badass..I have a bud in Bartlett Tenn who runs a 69 bbc 496 5.60's in the 8th..I went there to visit him 3 times and we took his Comaro to Byhallia 8th mile..You ever herd of this track? On another visit we ventured out to the well known Holly Springs track.

Just curious did you run a glide in the Beretta,lenco,Jerry?  

123 Last
TO TOP