Ad Radar
Item Posts    Sort Order

ALL my lifters are collapsing!!! need help

74nova383
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 07/23/13 03:10 PM

I have a 383 stroker running a complete comp cam kit and non of my lifters are getting oil and everywhere else is getting it11 what is the cause or problem?? anything will help!!

Thanks, Sean  

waynep712222
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 07/23/13 10:51 PM

exactly what type of lifters...

there are .. well LIFTERS that have a calibrated oil leak... at idle.. they start to rattle the rocker arms...

there are so many versions and people just don't understand quite what they are getting..

yes.. it will sound like a big diesel.. clattering at idle..

i wish the manufacturers of these lifters included a steel dog tag to mount to the intake manifold bolts.. that this engine is equipped with what ever they call these lifters..

so people know that the noise is normal..

you will want to VERIFY with a MECHANICAL oil pressure gauge.. and oil pressure test gauge sets are cheep at harbor fright.. one is under 10 bucks as i recall...  i don't see the one without all the adaptors on their site right now.. check your local store..

and don't throw out any oil filters you remove.. cut them open carefully and check for signs of filter media breaking up...
if the filter broke up.. it can clog or restrict the oil galleys..

from the comp cams site..

COMP Cams® High Energy™ Hydraulic lifters have a patented constant orifice metering valve that precisely meters oil to the rocker arms, eliminating excessive oiling at high engine speeds. In addition, High Energy™ Lifters have a lightweight check valve disc that allows for quicker response, which results in increased engine speed before valve float. This check valve disc also maintains added control at all engine speeds and loads. High Energy™ Hydraulic Lifters also contain a longer piston than conventional hydraulic lifters, which provides more load bearing surface and increases lifter longevity.

COMP Cams® Pro Magnum™ Hydraulic Lifters are specifically designed to perform at higher engine speeds and offer a significant power increase over standard high performance hydraulic lifters, especially in race applications where a hydraulic lifter must be used. When engines are equipped with conventional hydraulic lifters, high RPMs are limited by improper positioning of the internal piston. The unique design of Pro Magnum™ Lifters eliminates the problem of improper positioning and resulting harmful "pumping up."

The variable duration Hi-Tech™ Lifters from COMP Cams® were designed primarily for extremely hot street machines or racing applications where a vacuum rule is in place or where you must run a hydraulic cam. They have a greater bleed rate, which greatly increases vacuum, throttle response and noise. Hi-Tech™ Lifters are not recommended for extended periods on the street.

Race Hydraulic Lifters from COMP Cams® are the best all-around high performance hydraulic flat tappet race lifters. With tighter plunger to body tolerances, super strict tolerances, lubrited cam face and heavy-duty snap ring, these premium hydraulic lifters offer superior performance and durability.

there are several more options with their various roller lifters...  

74nova383
Posted: 07/24/13 03:14 PM

There the high energy lifters and I put abot 1500 miles on them and the slowey just all started collapsing, never made noise till then and I already checked the filter and all the oil galleys and every thing is clean!  

74nova383
Posted: 07/24/13 03:15 PM

There the high energy lifters, I put about 1500 miles on them and they all slowley started collapsing, I checked the filer and its clean and all the oil galleys are to!  

redneckjoe69
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 07/24/13 03:53 PM

i wonder if your cam bearings might have spun, or the passages got plugged up with trash?

have you tried re-adjusting all the valves with the engine running?   when you tighten them, do it slowly.

hows your oil pressure???   pick-up mighta fell off or got plugged up?

then theres the oil diversion plug.    heres a link with some good pics/diagrams.
http://forums.carcraft.com/70/8820395/chevrolet/sbc-no-oil-pressure/  

74nova383
Posted: 07/24/13 05:52 PM

Checked all that and had a machine shop checked the bearings And everything is good!! Nothing is plugged!!  

Pontiacman2
Posted: 07/25/13 04:50 AM

I have had problems with comp's lifters as well.
I have found that there was nothing wrong with the engines that had these lifter problems only that they had comp cams lifters.

That is why I do not use there stuff much if at all.

There was some one complaining about there lifters collapsing on another site.  
Pontiacman2
Pontiacman2

Professional Hi-performance engine builder

waynep712222
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 07/25/13 06:22 AM

Icon Quote74nova383:
There the high energy lifters and I put abot 1500 miles on them and the slowey just all started collapsing, never made noise till then and I already checked the filter and all the oil galleys and every thing is clean!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

these are going to be NOISY..  as the engine breaks in.. the oil pressure is going to drop slightly..  reducing oil pressure to the lifters.. so they won't pump up as much..

you might have also changed out the engine oil for something thinner.. this will reduce the oil pressure ..

what fraction of a turn down from ZERO lash do you set the rocker arms at???

you have to be very careful with the adjustment on these..

i usually run 1/4 to 1/2 turn down on most chevy standard hydraulic lifters..

if you run 1/4 to 1/2 down.. add another 1/4 turn to your adjustment.. see if the lifters quiet down slightly..

this almost requires the old punch line.. i could not fix your brakes.. so i made your horn louder.

when you set the rocker arm adjustments .. how do you set them.. buy turning  the engine a whole turn..  and setting according to the chart.

i have found that  turning the crank on a V8 1/4 turn at a time and following the firing order.. and watching to see that when you have finished the adjustment on the last pair.. that when you turn the crank.. that pair does not start moving.. if it does. then you will be on the wrong turn of the crank.. remember.. the crank turns twice to one turn of the cam...

what..

T
D
C on the crank..

1, 8, 4, 3

6, 5, 7, 2

its up to you to verify you are on the correct rotation when adjusting valves..
in performing this on engines that i am going to work on often..

i have marked the outer ring of the harmonic damper with numbers like this..
1/6 at TDC

a quarter turn of the crank.. i mark 8/5

another quarter turn of the crank.. i mark 4/7

and the last quarter turn 3/2

this allows me to bump the crank around with the remote starter button and watch the marks i have painted. to get the cam in the exact position.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

please perform a MECHANICAL OIL PRESSURE gauge test..  with the engine running and it at operating temps..

there are several issues that could be happening..

cam going flat.. this happens a lot.. you can view the push rods as the engine idles.. do they make a slow rotation.. or little stop and go rotations.. either is normal.. but it they go back and forth with their rotation.. you may have a lobe going flat.. this happens a lot..

you could have an oil pump that is not putting out the volume needed to keep the oil pressure up...

you could have bearing clearances that are opening up and allowing the oil to pass easier out.. reducing engine oil pressure..

its a shame that there are no windows in the sides of the engine oil pans to allow you to look at the amount of oil coming off the crank ..

oil filter media has broken before..

Filtercloggedmains

Sbcrearloweroilgalley  

TO TOP