Ad Radar
Item Posts    Sort Order

350 chevy distributor problems

1980weber
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 07/22/13 03:05 PM

ok, I had to reseal my intake because it was leaking oil...that's done. However when I took my distributor out (even though i marked it) it rubbed off and now cant get it right. I set my wheel to 0 mark. put the distributor in where and rotar was facing straight out.. put it back together and it wouldn't start..just crank and a pop, crank and pop..So I took everything back off (plugs, wires, cap) set motor at zero with wrench until the rotar was where I started. Then lifted up the distributor until it was disengaged, turned the motor 1 time around until it hit the zero mark again and put everything back together and it will start but unless I keep my foot on the gas it stalls out immedatley. help me with my ignorance please...Thanks  

waynep712222
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 07/22/13 03:11 PM

vacuum leaks??? power brake booster hose???

is the EGR valve hooked up to the proper port.

there are some issues depending.  

can you help with make.. model year..   distributer type...   carb or fuel injection ??? 350 chevys have been installed since ...1968?  to 2003 or 04.. when was the last vortec 5.7.. ?

do you have a timing light to check the base timing..

or do you know how to set TIMING via the dead stick method???

dead stick.. set damper to the proper base timing mark..  by turning in normal direction of rotation.. stopping at the timing mark without going past..   if you go past go back several inches and bring it forward again...

now .. you can turn the distributor housing to align the teeth of the pickup coil with the teeth of the reluctor.. it can be locked down then.. this will get you really really close ..

hint.. one can also do it the other way before pulling the distributor..    turn the crank till the mark is coming close on the damper..  slowly turn the crank till the teeth of the reluctor line up with the pickup coil.. then note the damper marks relation to the timing pointer.. that should be base timing...

you can then remove and reinstall the distributer and know exactly where to set the crank to set the distributer and get it to start instantly...  

busterrm2013
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 07/23/13 09:30 PM

Pull the drivers side valve cover, the first two valve springs are for the #1 piston. Rotate the engine by hand until they both open and close, the very front is the exhaust, second is the intake. Turn it until the second one has opened and closed. Then bring the balancer up to 0 on the timing tab. Slide the distributor in and aim it at where the #1 plug wire is on the cap. The distributor may not go all the way down, should be like 1/8 to 3/16 off the manifold. Bump the engine around until it falls to the manifold. Set the distributor with the vac cannister outlet pointing at the passenger side valve cover and snug the distributor but still be able to move it. Put the cap on check the wires for the correct firing order and crank it up.  

1980weber
Posted: 07/24/13 01:59 PM

once I drop the distributor in, does the rotar need to be set aiming at the number on piston?  

redneckjoe69
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 07/24/13 02:22 PM

heres a simple way.   take the #1 spark plug out.   put your finger/thumb over the plug hole.   have an assistant bump the key, little by little.    when you feel the compression push air up, your real close.    line up the damper to the timing marks.   drop the distributer in with the rotor pointed at the #1 spark plug tower on the cap.     now your real close.    heres a good video on setting your ignition timing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYGU7mTwsZc  

redneckjoe69
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 07/24/13 02:27 PM

this vid might help too?    theres lots of videos like it on youtube.   hope it helps.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjNS_PHTRog  

1980weber
Posted: 07/24/13 06:50 PM

Thanks.. Ill try agian.. everytime I do it, it just doesnt want to kick over... let me try the finger trick too... thanks guys..  

TO TOP