Item Posts    Sort Order

Tuning Problems. chevy 350

Dave632
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 02/06/14 10:21 AM

Icon QuoteDave632:
How rough is the cam at idle? Will it idle in the 6-700 rpm range, or do you have to run it in the 1000-1100 range?

Be sure you are not uncovering the idle transfer slot in the carb base as that will surely cause problems with idle and plug fouling. I had that problem with any hot cam I put in any of my motors.
Some new carbs have an adjustment for that but older ones have to be modified to cure that problem.  
[[SUPPORT AMERICAN CARS, STOMP A RICE CAR TODAY.]]

coachramos1
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 02/06/14 10:39 AM

Icon QuoteDave632:
How rough is the cam at idle? Will it idle in the 6-700 rpm range, or do you have to run it in the 1000-1100 range?

Icon QuoteDave632:
Be sure you are not uncovering the idle transfer slot in the carb base as that will surely cause problems with idle and plug fouling. I had that problem with any hot cam I put in any of my motors.
Some new carbs have an adjustment for that but older ones have to be modified to cure that problem.

Thanks! It is running smooth right now, but I will definitely take a look at that to make sure that I am not. Replacing plugs with headers needing to be removed every time is not something I want to do more.  

coachramos1
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 08/06/14 09:15 PM

UPDATE!!!

Just logged on to post another question and figured I would give the update. So what we found to ultimately be the problem was a combination of two things. The carb had one fuel bowl that had gotten material in it. When we were getting on the throttle it was sucking it up to the intake opening and clogging that side of the carb. We had the carb rebuilt. Then when getting it tuned the mechanic found that the vacuum secondary was stuck open on the distributor. Replaced that. Final adjustments on the carb, set the vacuum canister to 11 degrees, the idle timing to 12, and now we have a total timing of 34BTC and a carb that is feeding it perfectly. Runs great now!  

priya
Administrator
Posted: 01/05/15 05:46 AM

Nice  
Priya
priya

TO TOP