Item Posts    Sort Order

LS install in a Buick grand national t type question

Jackson Battles Sumpton
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 01/04/14 03:27 AM

Confused Hi quick question. I have a 1987 grand national T-Type with the original turbo6. I love my lil turbo6 but it has a few mikes on it 119k to be exact. Knowing the life span is coming to an end I'm really considering installing the LS 6.0 engine (fuel injection and all) my question is would I be able to keep my original fuel pump to power the 6.0 or would I have to up grade to a larger pump to power this motor?
P.s I thought about doing the LS 5.3 but I want something with a ill bit more tq/hp  

Dave632
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 01/04/14 08:53 PM

I would guess that the stock turbo fuel pump could keep up with the LS motor but at 119K I would think it would be a good time to upgrade the old fuel pump anyway. Of course you would use the regulator that comes with the LS motor.
I would also keep the V-6 as the car may be more valuable with the original motor.
Now putting a turbo on the LS motor would make it a real screamer. Wink  
[[SUPPORT AMERICAN CARS, STOMP A RICE CAR TODAY.]]

Jackson Battles Sumpton
Posted: 01/05/14 03:01 AM

thanx for the response. I was just hoping that my stock pump would be able to keep up so i don't have to put money into modifying my fuel tank and having to buy another pump. And also i am planning on keeping my V6 unless i throw a rod in it or damage the block or something.  

dond1965
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 01/05/14 09:21 AM

sir, it would appear the most important criteria concerning fueling your new engine would be to compare the oem rated power for both engines and system operating design pressures. if the v-8 is close to the v-6 in power rating, and the spec fuel pressures are close, then you posses a pump that fits your needs. the man is offering sound advice about the life span of the pump, and you might think about a fresh one. good luck with your swap amigo.  

Jackson Battles Sumpton
Posted: 01/07/14 05:34 AM

thanx again for replies. actually i didn't think about the pump being dialed in to the performance level of the engine. sounds like i may have to modify my tank (which i really don't want to do) or see can i ft an external pump somewhere on the frame in a safe place  

dond1965
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 01/07/14 08:14 AM

if need be, there are external mount aftermarket pumps you can use near the fuel tank. you can keep the factory fuel gauge and pick up in the tank. simply remove the factory pump, and transfer the wiring to the new pump with wiring extension if required. personally im surprised people have not tried to talk you out of this swap because the car is a grand national, and suggested the swap into a standard [g] body. have you priced grand nationals lately? have a good one bro.  

Jackson Battles Sumpton
Posted: 01/07/14 11:40 AM

Well actually I haven't shared this with many but what I have done is priced rebuild kits for the stock motor and stroker kits for the stock motor and everything just seem so expensive n grant it the motor is still running strong it's just the miles I have on it are adding up n eventually I know I'm going to have to either rebuild, stroke, or put another motor in it so I'm just weighing my options b4 that time gets here but I'm really leaning on a LS motor and tranny particular the 6.0 but I really wouldn't mind rebuilding my lil 6 though but if I had to I would really like to stroke it jus a little  

dond1965
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 01/07/14 03:19 PM

thanks for sharing that. a long time ago a wise man said..... look before you leap. have you considered selling the car as is and taking the money to pick up a cheap standard regal or other a or g body thats clean inside and out that has a tired engine, and swapping the late chevy into it? some thing for YOU to think about. have a great day bubba.  

TO TOP