They are from Oklahoma and the have a top
ten challenge ladder. I like the idea of
a challenge ladder. It seems like a blast and
in my racing days I would have joined right
in but for some reason they insist on racing on the
street. These are not some slow stockers or
puke little rice cars but stock bodied cars
with some serious HP.
They often have some serious traction problems.
I can surely relate to that and I ran on prepped
tracks. I have watched them run and I don't think
they have very good 60' times. I would guess in
the 1.20 range or even higher. Why you would risk
high dollar cars/engines and injury on slippery roads
with a chance to get impounded by the law is beyond
me.
Most tracks have a test and tune night and grudge
races are always welcome. This would be a much safer
environment and you have a stage, start, foul, win loss
system right there. There seemed to be many cars & spectators
there. I am not saying I did not street race but that was long
ago and I remember the crowds standing on the road as we
were racing towards them. Now it seems like a recipe for
disaster. Confused  
[[SUPPORT AMERICAN CARS, STOMP A RICE CAR TODAY.]]

joe-
My first time was in a Chevy
Posted: 01/05/14 12:56 AM

i've seen the show a few times.  i'm not into "reality" shows, but i enjoy looking at the cars.   they're definetly not street cars at all.  it's all staged IMO.   i agree, why not just go to the track when you have that much money, nice cars, new trucks, and car trailers?   breaking the law illegaly street racing and gambling, while on film,....geee, you think the cops know who they are?   fake!

one of the guys committed suicide.
http://www.oklarams.com/showthread.php?t=1361

heres some burnouts at the guys funeral.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Uc77nl7kME  
joe-

dond1965
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 01/06/14 11:04 PM

it IS t.v., there is no doubt some of those cars can run a [7] second 1/4 mile as is on the street. the guy tells every one not to do it. i like racing for the science of it, i hate drama. i watch it some times because almost nothing else on tv interests me. they could get some clues from the old show pinks me thinks.  

Dave632
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 01/07/14 04:15 PM

I could do without all the stupid drama but some of the cars are
interesting. Maybe some of them could run 7s at the track but on
the street I doubt it. My Beretta ran 5.07 in the 1/8th mile on motor
at the track,that converts to something in the 7.90s in the 1/4.
I had 17x34.5 slicks on that car which had a pro built moly chassis. I
occasionally blew the tires away on a pass running motor only on a
prepped track. I remember one time I ran test and tune on a track that was only
prepped for about 60'. I was breaking traction on and off all the way
down the whole 1/8th mile. Inside the car it felt like I was hitting
bumps as the tires would grab and slip. I made one pass and put the
car on the trailer after that.
In my experience there is no comparison between a chassis car and a
stock modified chassis car. The handling alone is night and
day.  

dond1965
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 01/07/14 06:06 PM

just checked out a blog at the hot rod forum. they say larry lutz's 6 second 57 chevy from drag week will race the murder nova on the last episode of the season. Shocked  Cool  Tongue  there are 2 kinds of high traction surfaces tires work on. the smooth sticky glue at the nhra tracks, and the tire gobbling sand paper from hell some streets are made of. that big block s-10 is no joke. they say the murder nova is pushing 2,000 horse power. lots of comp eliminator cars with a lot less than 2,000 horses run in the sevens. we all have an opinion.  

Dave632
Posted: 01/08/14 04:29 PM

Not disputing their HP. Who knows what they are making. You can buy 2-3000 hp engines from engine builders now a days.
My belief is that you cannot hook up that much power on an untreated surface and it matters little how much HP you are making if you cannot put it to the ground.
One of the guys who came from out of town wanted to treat the whole surface that they were to race on. He obviously had a fast ride but simply went up in smoke trying to run on a local street without treatment.
I have no doubt I could not have raced on any street anywhere with my Beretta which had a lot more tire than most of those cars and I was not trying to put that much to the pavement. I had 3 nitrous stages on the car 2 foggers and 2 plates. I never could run more than one fogger and even then with small pills. It still gave trouble going down a treated track. My 60' was 1.07 at the track.
I doubt I could have broke out of the 1.20s on the street. If I got anywhere outside the groove I would go sideways as the tire in the groove would bite and the other would spin. I don't doubt some of them could run 7s at the track, maybe even low 7s. On the street I doubt it. Another example was my test pad in Fla. My cement driveway. It was 16' wide and 150' long. I would check out things
on that "track". Leaving at idle on motor only I would simply light the tires and spin them to about the 60' mark then get off it to stay out of the lake.
My point is even on dry clean cement I could not hook up well with 17" tires. On the treated track I would carry the front tires about 4" off the ground for about 40'. No where on any street could I do that.
Here is a shot of the car when it was about 15-20' out. You can see the slight wheelstand but most of the energy is in forward motion. This is the correct attitude you want in a drag car.
MVC 027S
I drag raced for over 40 years and my opinions are based on fact not some pie in the sky theory.  

tuffnuff
Posted: 01/08/14 04:49 PM

+1 Dave
I personally lost interest in Pinks with the arm drop launches, I believe the show would benefit with the 3 lite system c/w a handicap advantage for the slower cars.,. pass time is more realistic, but still heavily influenced by producers and of course, ratings.
Us old timers can only shake our heads and let out a sigh of relief, while we reflect on days gone by and the way it was,,,,,,, FUN!!!

Smile  
When The Flag Drops.,.

tuffnuff

The Bull ***t Stops.,.
tuffnuff

P. Engineer, Engine Builder

Dave632
Posted: 01/08/14 05:47 PM

I agree with you Tuff. Drag racing was more fun in times gone by and it cost less to run then, even adjusting for inflation.
I did not like the Pinks show. Thought it was stupid. No way would I take a chance on losing a car even if I was twice as fast as a competitor. Too many things can go wrong.
Pass time is better but why is a cast member there to steal the money away from the contestants? Everyone should get what they win with a bonus going to the winner. The guy who produced that series is a bonehead and should stick to riding bikes which he crashes real well.  

dond1965
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 01/08/14 05:52 PM

you win, BUT i still love pie. and my back tires still HATE the sand paper from hell [and no i dont mean concrete] till next time... peace!!  

tuffnuff
Posted: 01/08/14 07:41 PM

Accepted in good will dond, I still have a set if big tires on rims if you need them, for that sand paper from hell.,. but it takes some serious power, to turn these slicks.

Bigslicks 1

Smile  
When The Flag Drops.,.

tuffnuff

The Bull ***t Stops.,.
tuffnuff

Dave632
Posted: 01/08/14 08:40 PM

Those look familiar.
Mine were 17" x 34.5" high.
I could blow them away with ease. I once tried to leave the line with a 400 fogger shot of nitrous. Nearly turned into the guardrail about 40' off the line. I had also blew them off the line on motor alone. They had to be pretty fresh too as they aged they would get harder and lose even more traction. Shocked  

dond1965
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 01/08/14 08:44 PM

like maybe a chevette [i love my chevette] mounted on a straight axle front equipped [one ton] super duty frame, slammed, rigid mounted dana 60 out back. using the wheels/tires mounted out board of the body, like road kills jeep. a 409 cube rat motor [4.155" x 3.76"] with plunge milled valve reliefs in the deck for valve clearence. victor cnc heads with 2.325" x 1.88" valves. 11.5 compression. a victor tunnel ram mounting 2 x 2,000 cfm throttle bodies. an electromotive ignition/injection controller. 2.25" tube x 4" collector headers. jesel 1.7 shaft rockers. methanol fuel. 6.535" con rods. a dry sump system. a comp solid roller cam, #11-715-9[14], 262-270 duration at 50, 108 degrees LSA, 0.714" gross valve lift. a vortech V7-YS blower spun 40% over crank speed, water/methanol injection. a bruno converter drive and lenco 3-speed trans. i know its a small engine, but only crazy people put big engines in a chevette. as soon as i get the rest of the parts together i can count on you for the rear tires then, [wink-wink] what bolt pattern are the wheels so i can get the axles to fit them!!!  LOL!!! till next time... aloha  

tuffnuff
Posted: 01/09/14 03:49 AM

Ford 9" bolt pattern with 14-1/2 x 32 x 15 Juicers

Bigmeats

10.50's sure look skinny, huh

Slicks11s145s

Click on pic below.,. burn out

Th Burnout001

Smile  
When The Flag Drops.,.

tuffnuff

The Bull ***t Stops.,.
tuffnuff

Dave632
Posted: 01/09/14 07:38 AM

I liked the Chevette too but short wheelbase cars with lots of power make terrible drag cars. You would have to extend the wheelbase to make it stable. I remember Chevettes with SB Chevys running pretty good because of the light weight. Any more than 3-400 hp and you had a handful however.  

tuffnuff
Posted: 01/09/14 08:00 AM

Icon QuoteDave632:
I liked the Chevette too but short wheelbase cars with lots of power make terrible drag cars. You would have to extend the wheelbase to make it stable. I remember Chevettes with SB Chevys running pretty good because of the light weight. Any more than 3-400 hp and you had a handful however.

In my younger days I had a 61 Sunbeam with 86" wheelbase.,. I decided to put a 425 horse 427 into it.
In order to run in A/A, I needed 90" so a tube front end (moved forward) and a 12 bolt with 4.88's (moved back) and 10.50" slicks. I got my 90 1/4" great @2400 pounds, I was legal for the track now, or so I thoughtLaugh
A Weber aluminum flywheel and disk (plus Lakewood blast box) got power into my  C/R Muncie M-21.,. a Hurst shifter and line lock and of course wheelie bars finished the package or so I thought.
My racing partner got to go on the first solo test drive and as soon as he dropped the hammer the car's front end jumped in the air and went bezerk.,. I saw it go sideways in one direction and then another a few times.
My bud came back and informed me that the car was going to kill somebody and I believed him.,. that was the one and only run in the widow maker.
We started stealing parts off it for other projects and it finally got sold as a rolling chassis.
I/we never saw it again.

Smile  
When The Flag Drops.,.

tuffnuff

The Bull ***t Stops.,.
tuffnuff

123 Last
TO TOP