Item Posts    Sort Order

Fly cutter for skimming cylinder heads

mfgtools
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 12/11/13 11:19 PM

Has anyone used MVP's Fly cutters for skimming cylinder heads? I have a Bridgeport mill and want to be able to skim mainly 350 Chevy heads and small engine heads and blocks, if anyone has used this tool any feedback would be appreciated.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fly-Cutter-for-Boring-Mill-Bridgeport-CNC-Verticall-Mill-Horizontal-Mill-Fadal-/320842397830?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ab3b27886

Thanks,
Willy  

wayne712222
My first time was in a Chevy
Posted: 12/12/13 12:45 AM

there are similar cutters for CNC surfacing machines like the rottler series..

you might want to drift over to a magazine like engine builder and read up on surfacing tech...

when i worked in a machine shop in the head department. we had a storm vulcan block master rotary broach.. that machine had to be dead level to be able to set up a head and get a decent square cut...  

you will need to level your machine.. using a machinists level . this will make it a LOT easier to set up your machine.. if you head has angle settings.. you will have to check them also..

you can see the cylinder head set up plate on the work area.. but if you look at the bottom of the picture.. you will see the screw jacks to support the corners of the head that you use to level the head.. to get a square cut..

85EL 1

85EL 2

you can see the various rottler set ups...

F79A 3

i have only drooled over the rottler version.. i don't recall if they use a single cutter or a dual cutter

and for small head.. i seem to recall.. a 14mm threaded section on a ball end swivel.. that had a threaded longer threaded end.. so we could hold cylinder heads down that did not have side bolts.. just thread the device into the spark plug hole and thru the stand to pull the head tight to the tripods..  

skyeking
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 12/12/13 04:13 PM

Laugh Hi Wayne Frown  
skyeking

TO TOP